NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found myself fishing a natural bait wildtrout stream. These fish are scared of a nightcrawler. I guess its what they see most. I decided to roll some rocks and fish with what ever I could find. These are very ugly, very aggressive looking bugs.

What kind of natural bait do you guys use on this kind of water. Does anyone know if the larvae under the rocks can actually sting or bite or do they just look mean. LOL I looked for info via the web on what I could handle with out being bit and didnt find anything. Most likely do to I really didnt know how to phrase the search question. :rolleyes:

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I think that crawly thing is called a "Helgramite" maybe you can search that word and find some info???

Reactions: Hogg Tyed

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I found myself fishing a natural bait wildtrout stream. These fish are scared of a nightcrawler. I guess its what they see most. I decided to roll some rocks and fish with what ever I could find. These are very ugly, very aggressive looking bugs.

What kind of natural bait do you guys use on this kind of water. Does anyone know if the larvae under the rocks can actually sting or bite or do they just look mean. LOL I looked for info via the web on what I could handle with out being bit and didnt find anything. Most likely do to I really didnt know how to phrase the search question. :rolleyes:
Grampers, crickets, wasp nest, redworm.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crickets were my 1st guess, I also considered redworms. No desire to wrestle a wasp for his nest. Whats is a gramper. I never heard of them. I also thought the white grubs you find in the yard and meal worms would probally work.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It is illegal to take bait from a troutstream, if you use helgramites or caddis larve I would'nt be caught looking like I was turning rocks over or harvesting bait.

Our wild trout streams are going downhill fast due to the N.C.W.R.C lack of enforcement along with very poor regulations. If we are to enjoy decent wild trout fishing in the future, we are going to have to clean house in Raleigh and appoint some officials who actually care about our natural resources rather than catering to Bubba !!!!! :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of genius would designate a stream natural bait wild trout waters then turn around and make it illegal to use naturally occurring bait found in the stream. That really defeats the intent of the streams designation. I would think it would be better for the stream to use insects found there rather than bringing in new ones.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What kind of genius would designate a stream natural bait wild trout waters then turn around and make it illegal to use naturally occurring bait found in the stream. That really defeats the intent of the streams designation. I would think it would be better for the stream to use insects found there rather than bringing in new ones.
The same geniuses that expect 2 officers to be able to protect a county with 4 majior lakes, 53 trout streams along with 62% of said county being National Forest Game Lands!! All due to the lack of funding to hire more officers. Then they turn around a lower Non-resident license 300% while neighboring states DOUBLE theirs.

Last year a 3-day non-res license cost $25 plus $10 for a trout stamp = $35 and you could harvest 21 trout from a hatchery supported stream. That totals out to about $1.66 per fish.(keep in mind the are our fish they don't belong to the goverment they belong to the people of North Carolina)

2007 the geniuses in Raliegh changed the non-res license to a 10 day and it cost $10 add in the $10 trout stamp and you have $20. now they can harvest 70 fish from a hatchery supported stream. That totals out to about 28 cent per fish !!!!!!!

In 2006 N.C averaged $1.66 per fish
In 2007 We get 28 cent per fish

I would say genuis is to strong of a word for our wildlife officials in Raleigh, maybe IDIOTS would be in order !!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Reactions: R4ED and Hogg Tyed

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
good insights there nanthala. I appreciate your passion and true love of the area in which you live and make your living.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
WOW!!.... that's ridiculous. I didn't mind paying for $30 saltwater/freshwater licenses until you told me that!! Sounds like politicians like to trout fish... OH let me guess, they are probably license exempt..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, that does sound like there stretched a bit thin. Thanks for the info guys.. Now back to my question how many of the ugly bugs under the rocks can actually sting or bite? And how hard?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hogg tyed, sorry to rant all over your post about the poor job N.C.W.R.C is doing protecting our natural resourses from scum sucking, low life, bottom feeding law breakers. But to answer your guestion...IT IS ILLEGAL TO TAKE BAIT FROM TROUT STREAMS !!!!!

Tight lines

Reactions: R4ED

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have found that gulp worms or plastic look alikes work quite well and hold up to catches better. In wild streams, use small pieces of nightcrawler. Try what we call a "weeblehead".(small piece of nightcrawler tiped with 2 pieces of corn)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hogg tyed, sorry to rant all over your post about the poor job N.C.W.R.C is doing protecting our natural resourses from scum sucking, low life, bottom feeding law breakers.. But to answer your guestion...IT IS ILLEGAL TO TAKE BAIT FROM TROUT STREAMS !!!!!

Tight lines
BUT IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO BRING YOUR OWN!!!!!!
I appreciate you pointing out that it is illegal. I was not aware of it. I understood that in your 1st post and then when I researched and read it on page 26 of the regs. The thing is you are assuming I am limited to just NC waters. I can assure I am not. Even though I was asking about a NC stream. I fish for trout in 3 states. Your answer also assumes the only place to collect these insects is in trout designated waters. It is not. My question is about the insect larvae, not the legality of there collection. I spoke with an officer and know how to do it legally. I was just wanting some info on what bites or stings and what don't. Or what natural baits others use.

So far I think redworms, crickets and meal worms. Possibly helgamites (I know they can pinch) if there is a vendor that sells them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
BUT IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO BRING YOUR OWN!!!!!!
I appreciate you pointing out that it is illegal. I was not aware of it. I understood that in your 1st post and then when I researched and read it on page 26 of the regs. The thing is you are assuming I am limited to just NC waters. I can assure I am not. Even though I was asking about a NC stream. I fish for trout in 3 states. Your answer also assumes the only place to collect these insects is in trout designated waters. It is not. My question is about the insect larvae, not the legality of there collection. I spoke with an officer and know how to do it legally. I was just wanting some info on what bites or stings and what don't. Or what natural baits others use.

So far I think redworms, crickets and meal worms. Possibly helgamites (I know they can pinch) if there is a vendor that sells them.
Sorry again Hoggtyed, The only thing I know of that bites in the streams other than snakes would be crawfish, Stonefly nymphs will also give you a pinch as well as hellgrmites but the will not hurt you, just cling on for a second or two.

Hellgramites are great bait and I would'nt overlook crawfish or spring lizzards.
If you have acess to the Southfork of the New River, it's CRAWLING with Hellgramites and Crawfish. You can take a window screen and hold it to the bottom and have a buddy turn rocks up-stream of you and clean up on Helgramites. If you want Crawfish you can walk the banks of the river at night and catch plenty of crawfish in the shallows with a flashlight and a small dip net for aquariums. The good news is it's all legal!

Just take it easy on harvesting many wild trout, our regulations stink! and the idiots that make our laws can't get away from their desks long enough to witness the destruction of our resourses. Wild Trout are in a state of steady decline.
SAVE THE TROUT
SHOOT THE POACHERS!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree, only time I keep a wild trout is if its gilled and probally gonna die anyway. No need to release a dead fish. If your careful fatallities are rare. And I do my best to be carefull. If I am after fish for dinner I hit hatchery water even then I only keep 1 or 2 and release the rest.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hogg Tyed, We need more sportsmen like you up here in the hills of N.C!

Tight Lines

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new here but just from reading some of these post I have to put in my 2 cents. If it is a wild trout stream it sould be flyfish only and catch and release only. No exceptions! There is plent of hatchery supported water for Bubba and his bait can. Leave the wild water to the serious fisherman. Nothing gets me fired up more than hiking a couple of miles to fish a nice remote steam and finding bait cans on the bank. if you have to resort to corn grub worms or anything else like that...fine. Just do it on the hatchery streams that are set aside for meat fisherman. Or save yourself some time and go the store and buy a fish to eat!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I am new here but just from reading some of these post I have to put in my 2 cents. If it is a wild trout stream it sould be flyfish only and catch and release only. No exceptions! There is plent of hatchery supported water for Bubba and his bait can. Leave the wild water to the serious fisherman. Nothing gets me fired up more than hiking a couple of miles to fish a nice remote steam and finding bait cans on the bank. if you have to resort to corn grub worms or anything else like that...fine. Just do it on the hatchery streams that are set aside for meat fisherman. Or save yourself some time and go the store and buy a fish to eat!
There are a few wild creeks that allow natural bait. They are limited to wild harvest regulations. Flies can also be used with a spinning rig.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome to the site Tight lines,

You sound like a man after my own heart! I hope in the near future N.C will realize that they discriminate against true sportsmen when it comes to our wild trout!
We have a bunch of ignorant people making regulations in Raleigh as a matter of fact I think they all have names like Bubba and Jimbob. They are much more concerned with saving Bog Turtles than our wild trout. :confused:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.