NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I went out to Bogue Inlet late last week on an out going tide/SW winds and encountered rolling waves.....needless to day I turned around and stayed inshore. I've read several post and have also been informed to go out early morning and avoid transiting the Inlet on an out going tide. I'm from SW Florida and only used tide charts to predict High/low tides for fishing so I'm not entirely confident my tide chart interpreting abilities. Thus, it's fairly intimidating that I can get offshore but may not be able to comfortably get back inshore if I time the tides incorrectly...especially bc my fishing partners are my wife and 2 yr old son. Any further suggestions on safe transit of Bogue inlet to get offshore?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not sure about the inlets around here but I know in Florida, the nasty ones like Jupiter and Sebastian have signs saying that local knowledge is highly recommended to navigate in and out the inlet. This weekend in Jupiter a 32 footer got hung up on a sand bar, got sideways, flipped and the captain was throw out and knocked out them drowned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guy. It looks like Saturday is going to be good weather to attempt the voyage. Island Man recommended I bounce a 4in gulp off the bottom around Key Post to catch a wide variety of fish....any other suggestions?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Tough inlet for sure. You are doing right, if it doesnt feel right, dont try it. Last time i tried, along with Sundrop, a 26 footer (jimbeam) disappeared behind a wave except for a little bit of T..top. i turned around an played inside to be able to play another day.

I understand its a better inlet now since the last dredge, but still use caution. Follow someone else oug, track it so you can get in an out easy again.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I remember that day, probably the first day Ive seen you turn BLUE? lol

Tough inlet for sure. You are doing right, if it doesnt feel right, dont try it. Last time i tried, along with Sundrop, a 26 footer (jimbeam) disappeared behind a wave except for a little bit of T..top. i turned around an played inside to be able to play another day.

I understand its a better inlet now since the last dredge, but still use caution. Follow someone else oug, track it so you can get in an out easy again.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is a bit of a tricky inlet. Until you learn to read the water there, it's probably best to follow someone out the first time or two and mark your trail on the GPS to get back in with as the bouys are not always correct. We saw one on the shore of Bear Island last weekend. You also need to be able to work the waves correctly, lots of folks have gotten sideways and had a bad day there. We may go for a run tomorrow, if you see a Triumph with Stanley written on the side, follow us out. Good luck, stay safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.