NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Looking to get some feedback on fishing the Emerald Isle area. I'm headed down the 3rd week in September and was hoping to catch the tail end of some reds and some flounder back in the creeks. I never spent much time in that area and was looking if there are any big hazards I should now about. I was planing on putting in at the Emerald Isle Boat Ramp and heading over to Goose Creek Shoals and Bear Island.
  • Is there a marked channel to get to Bear Island?
  • There's a lot of good looking bars in front of that ramp's canal but I'm not sure how hard those are to navigate and how low that water gets. Anyone fish that area and have any comments?
  • Last question is how's the chop out there? I'm in a 18.6 G3 with a 90, I draft about 18" to idling trimmed down, I have navigation.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The channel from the Emerald Isle public boat ramp to the ICW is clearly marked, but crooked and narrow. I ran it several times in July with a bigger boat than yours and no problems. I'm not familiar with Goose Creek shoals but navigating to Bear Island from the ICW is clearly marked though you'll probably want to slow down and feel your way in as you pass the West Channel right before Bear Island. You shouldn't have any problem with a G3 although you'll encounter some big wakes occasionally.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The biggest hazard in the bogue sound are the oyster bars. They can really damage the bottom of your boat and your feet. If you venture off the marked channels go slow and pay attention to the water depth.

Get a good chart of the bogue sound from one of the local tackle shops such as The Reel Outdoors and study it.

There is some good red, trout, and flounder fishing along the marshes, docks, and creek mouths all along the ICW. Just search for them using baits such as gulps, live minnows, and fresh cut bait on jig heads.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your stay in our little part of Paradise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.