NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a FF that comes with Navionics+, there was actually a Navionics rep at Cabelas this weekend and he was very helpful. He said my chip has maps for all of the US but if I wanted I could erase that data and download more accurate maps for local waters. But he also said I could never go back to how the chip was originally (with all of US).

So I'm not sure what to do. I like the idea of updating my chip to get the latest details, but I don't like the idea of a "point of no return". Those usually end up as regrettable moments that cost me $$$ :(

So what does everyone else do with their chips?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Hmmmmm, I do not remember erasing anything. I believe there is a basic map on the chip. Then you can go to the web app and select areas you want the full detail on. For me I have a chunk of detail data for the NC area. Then I have a small chunk of data for the area around Maine that I fish.

mikeski

·
Registered
721 Posts
I used poor English before. Didn't Mean erase the base map. Do as mike stated. Dl the maps you want. If you change your mind about what you want detail on later, then delete what you added and add others. ��

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of "chip" is it? Cant you download or copy its current contents to a hard drive before deleting?
My research shows trying to do so can screw up the chip permanently because they have anti-piracy software on the chip.

There are a lot of things I don't like about how the SD card is so crucial. So you spend upwards of $200 and unless you have a functional SD card you can kiss your money goodbye.

• Lose the chip? Screwed
  • Chip becomes defective? Screwed
  • Try to backup the data on the SD card since it's so **** important? Screwed

A better system would allow you to replace the SD card with some kind of proof of purchase.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Hmmmmmm...

You do not delete anything from the Micro SD card. You have basic maps of all the lakes. You plug the chip into your pc and run the nav program which gets you to a web site. You select an area you want the high quality maps for and you download the data to your chip. Plug the chip into your unit and now you have the standard available maps.

With my unit I can record my path, save the data and upload it for processing. Once done I download the updates and the detail is added to my map. The maps are ok but when you add your data the maps get more accurate.

I am not sure why they don't just use all our scans to make the maps as good as they can be. Period.

mikeski

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help on this. It's amazing how poorly documented all this is (i.e. no help what-so-ever). I'm in the tech industry and am very technology savvy, I don't know how some people figure this stuff out.

Here's another example:
When I opened my Lowrance Elite 4 box and found the Navionics chip it was a full-size SD card, but the unit takes micro SD. Assuming they made a mistake on packaging, I wait until Monday and call Lowrance. The lady on the phone was trying to be as nice as possible but I could tell if one more person called with this question she was going to hang herself.

Turns out the micro SD card is inside the full size SD card. Now why can't they put that in the friggin manual or something???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mike, if I understand what you are saying, the way points on the unit do not get overwritten when you do a map update? Or do you need to reload them after a map update? Which means you had to save them on a card. It takes a long time to get a lake full of waypoints at the speed of yak. I would hate to lose them from map updating.

I am waiting for my Elite 4 to arrive and just trying to get a firm understanding of things not to do before I do them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.