NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The number of public fishing piers on our coast is dwindling rapidly. Many have been destroyed by hurricanes and not rebuilt because of economics. But the biggest threat today is from beach development and the ensuing rapidly rising property values and taxes.

The cost of land has risen so much and there is so few large tract left (large by beach standards is 1 acre or more). Residential development is on the rise, commercial beach properties are on the decline. You can't blame the pier owners, they just eek out a living as it is. Now all of a sudden their property value has trippled in the past 5 years and the taxes with it.

Then someone comes along and waves MILLIONS of dollars at them for their property. I can't fault the pier owners. But as a coastal community we need to band together and preserve some of the piers, just as we did years ago to preserve public access areas to the beaches.

Check out this link and consider joining the petition drive.

Mike

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Personally, I believe that the loss of fishing piers and beach renourishment programs are 2 big reasons that the remaining piers don't catch nearly as many amberjack,kings, cobia and tarpon as they used to. no structure/no bait/no fish. More piers =more baitfish congregated along the beach. More bait = more reason for the fish to be there. beach renourishment = flat featureless beaches with no underwater topography= .

·
Registered
271 Posts
I saw the report on another site and signed the petition this morning. Encourage all to stop being a mouse potato and sign the petition. One voice can be ignored in Raleigh, tens of thousands of voices speaking as one cannot be ignored.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i personally agree with sinker man.. i do some fishing from the piers myself. it will be a bad if we lose all of them..

beach replenishment-is this a government rip off or what?? every time i have ever fished surf we always fished washout holes in the surf.. this is like the main struture in the surf..to make it nice and smooth is a waste of taxpayer money-my money inculded- skippy i signed this petion..

zooker

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Would like to try

I've never been but I sure would like to try it. I'm signing it just because it's the one of the closest things to shore fishing in the ocean. And I am a shore fisherman.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I signed it and sent it out to every person I know, "fisherperson"( my wife corrected me..LOL) or not!.. Something has to be done... I wonder if any accounts have been set up to collect funds to save these areas? Enough people and a few $$ can do as much as the rich developers...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.