NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took a week off of work and decided that I was going to rent a jon boat (with a trolling motor) down at Johnson lake in Cary. I unfortunately don't own a boat and have 0 friends that fish (not sure how that's possible)...

Come to find out - ALL the state parks with boat rentals no longer have trolling motors as an option. My low back can't handle rowing and fishing in the wind is quite annoying without a trolling motor... On top of it, you can't fish from the shore line either...

Can't a guy just throw a line in? Sheesh!

If anyone could use a boat buddy on the weekends that fishes Jordan, Harris, etc., please do let me know. I'm more than willing to pay for gas, inconvenience and just friendly fishing companionship!

Thanks for listening to the rant... :mad:

Joe

Reactions: Lucky Doug

·
Registered
876 Posts
I really don't see how they could make it by renting trolling motors. I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for the renting, operation, and repair. Not to metion the job of keeping batteries charged. That would be a nightmare. I'm sure someone would like a buddy to fish Jordan. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Wrong part of the state for me...

If you don't have the budget to buy a cheap trolling motor, battery, and charger ($200-$225 at Walmart, less on CL), or a place to store it all (I live in an apt, so I understand that) then you are limited.

I do believe High Point City Lake still rents batteries and trolling motors... They did last year at least. Probably too far for you to travel.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I unfortunately don't own a boat and have 0 friends that fish (not sure how that's possible)...

Joe
Joe I think it's because of your extremely disturbing avatar picture:eek:, just sayin. You can PM me, but I don't fish on the weekends really, and with my upcoming schedule it may be hard to get something together. Check out the High Point M&G thread, I should be at that and you can back seat my boat there if you'd like.

·
Registered
549 Posts
While looking at some info on boat rentals I came across this....might be of some help, don't know or have any experiance with them. http://www.crosswindsboating.com/fishing-boats.html

I understand about throwing in a line, the 1% or 10% rule is what is getting us all. To much trash left behind by inconsiderate people and I use the term people very loosely in this case.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Invest in a kayak! If you cant handle paddling, invest in one with a pedal drive (native propel would be my choice but some like hobie)

Reactions: Ylicyotee

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joe I think it's because of your extremely disturbing avatar picture:eek:, just sayin. You can PM me, but I don't fish on the weekends really, and with my upcoming schedule it may be hard to get something together. Check out the High Point M&G thread, I should be at that and you can back seat my boat there if you'd like.
Nothing like the thought of pulling a "catfish" out of the water that looks like that. :) Thank you for the kind offer! I'm transitioning jobs here shortly so my only free time will be weekends. I'm looking in to actually buying a boat within the next couple years so hopefully this struggle will end by then... I JUST started looking into the yaks. Have never fished from one so I'm still pretty skeptical. Some of the yaks I've found (like Hobie) are into the 5k range, which is when my jaw hit the floor. I'll probably be starting a thread here to see what the yak folks are recommending these days.

Thanks again for being generous with your extra seat. It's good to know there are still so many kind folks on this forum!

Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking into them now (for the past couple days, actually) - I never thought yaks could be priced so high! The hobie's definitely look pretty awesome but 3-5k for a yak seems super steep to me. I'll look into native propel this week but if you should have any suggestions on models, please do let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Nothing like the thought of pulling a "catfish" out of the water that looks like that. :) Thank you for the kind offer! I'm transitioning jobs here shortly so my only free time will be weekends. I'm looking in to actually buying a boat within the next couple years so hopefully this struggle will end by then... I JUST started looking into the yaks. Have never fished from one so I'm still pretty skeptical. Some of the yaks I've found (like Hobie) are into the 5k range, which is when my jaw hit the floor. I'll probably be starting a thread here to see what the yak folks are recommending these days.

Thanks again for being generous with your extra seat. It's good to know there are still so many kind folks on this forum!

Joe
That meet and greet is on Sunday the 7th of June (http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/71510-High-Point-area-M-amp-G-June-7th). There will be some guys there with yaks you could talk with and they may even let you test drive one. By the way, check out www.Gheenoe.net as far as boats are concerned, they have a 13' starting at $1120. Good product for the money, I have the 15'6" and I love it. Also check out the Angler Connections thread on here, you may find some folks that have the same weekend only restriction you do, that may be willing to help you out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looking into them now (for the past couple days, actually) - I never thought yaks could be priced so high! The hobie's definitely look pretty awesome but 3-5k for a yak seems super steep to me. I'll look into native propel this week but if you should have any suggestions on models, please do let me know. Thanks!

There's currently a used slayer propel 13 on sale for $1800 at Hunt Fish Paddle on lake wylie. GREAT deal for that boat and its been well taken care of. And before you're skeptical about kayak fishing try it. You have increased access on most bodies of water (easier to put-in and you can go super shallow) and you can get much further into heavy cover.

What part of the state do you live in?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to know that you can find good deals on these. I'm in Apex currently but moving down the street into Holly Springs shortly. Thanks for the help!

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I sent you a PM about a lake not super far away that at least USED to rent trollers. If you rent a trolling motor anywhere I highly recommend you invest in your own battery or batteries... at least take one as a spare. Rentals are notorious about being poorly charged or in many cases they just don't hold a good charge anymore due to repeated use and being left in the cold during winter months.

Looking for a used trolling motor in good condition, along with a good deep cycle battery and a small automatic charger from wal-mart will run you a small fraction of the cost of a boat or yak, and opens up a lot more options that don't rent motors. It's a couple hundred dollar investment but worth it, imo.

Good luck!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
$200 will get you a 30lb minn kota trolling motor and a big group 27 or 31 deep cycle battery at Walmart. add $29 for a 2amp/6amp battery charger from Harbor Freight and you are good to go in any rental.

·
Registered
26 Posts
More options in Triangle

I sympathize, a man has to fish.

Three thoughts.

1. Did you mean Lake Johnson in Raleigh? Last time I was there, they were still renting trolling motors on their jonboats. They also have canoes for rent, a great boat for that small lake.

2. You can spend a thousand or more for a really nice fishing kayak, but you can get a perfectly functional plastic kayak at Costco for $250 right now, and Dick's sporting goods usually has a cheap kayak for about the same. I bought my $200 Dick's sit-inside kayak seven years ago and I take that thing everywhere including into the salt marshes. It is light enough to cartop on my sedan, uses no fuel, and because it is a piece of crap, I can drag it and bang it and not worry about it.

3. If you just want to toss in a line, try parking at any of the boat launches or county parks around Falls Lake or Jordan Lake, and just walk a few hundred yards along the lake trail. There is lots of decent bass and panfishing within sound of the road. You can also try fishing off the bridge in Lake Johnson in Raleigh. That is what I did for a few years, and it was fun.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Johnson Lake in Cary is not a State Park, BTW. Some very good kayaks can be purchased new for $800-1400. Additionally some of the State Parks are located on non-motorized lakes
It is not in Cary as well........It is in Raleigh City Limits.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I sympathize, a man has to fish.

Three thoughts.

1. Did you mean Lake Johnson in Raleigh? Last time I was there, they were still renting trolling motors on their jonboats. They also have canoes for rent, a great boat for that small lake.

2. You can spend a thousand or more for a really nice fishing kayak, but you can get a perfectly functional plastic kayak at Costco for $250 right now, and Dick's sporting goods usually has a cheap kayak for about the same. I bought my $200 Dick's sit-inside kayak seven years ago and I take that thing everywhere including into the salt marshes. It is light enough to cartop on my sedan, uses no fuel, and because it is a piece of crap, I can drag it and bang it and not worry about it.

3. If you just want to toss in a line, try parking at any of the boat launches or county parks around Falls Lake or Jordan Lake, and just walk a few hundred yards along the lake trail. There is lots of decent bass and panfishing within sound of the road. You can also try fishing off the bridge in Lake Johnson in Raleigh. That is what I did for a few years, and it was fun.
Is that cheap yak rated for tall fat man? I mean a average heft guy with many large fish to paddle back with?

·
Registered
762 Posts
While you research you Kayak try the following lakes. I'm confident the first three rent boats and motors. Not sure about Bond Park.
  • Bass Lake, Holly Springs
  • Lake Benson, Garner
  • Little River Lake, Durham
  • Fred G. Bond Metro Park, Cary

Other rentals you may be interested in:
  • Kayak Rentals at Jordan Lake (Crossroads Boating Center)
  • Canoe Rentals at Umstead Park

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.