NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking some of the local river flows earlier and noticed a note saying a couple gauges were being discontinued later in the year. Funding seems to be the conflict as usual. I've contacted every option possible and left messages but haven't had any responses yet. Just wondered if anybody had an "inside scoop".....thanks

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got some feedback. Basically as I mentioned this is derived from a shortage of money and a lack of sponsorship for future funding.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I just dont see how with todays technology and river gauge and cost much to operate..

Reactions: wademaster

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just dont see how with todays technology and river gauge and cost much to operate..
That's what I thought. The USGS is supposed to email me some figures and I'll pass the info along. They said it's quite pricey and that hardly any of them are supported by the federal government. The majority are funded by organizations and sponsors. They said the army corps had paid for it until now for use with Kerr Scott Reservoir but now it's time for budget cuts. I'll post whatever I receive from them....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
We have heard about this for a couple of years. Guess we will revert to old school...calling a local outfitter for conditions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest I can just check the rivers/streams out from driving out and having an actual physical look at them but the gauges are handy for checking waters that aren't in your area and it's just interesting to monitor after rainfall.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
City and county governments need to wake up! We hear all the time about budgets. Why not sponsor gauges on their fishable rivers to help draw in tax dollars from visiting fishermen. I think this would be very useful on trout streams. Turbidity readings as well as gauge heights would be great.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Who needs infrastructure anyway?

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I received an email from them yesterday evening....

Basically it stated that to operate a river gauge it costs around $15,000 per year per gauge. This includes not only the equipment but the folks that go check it and calibrate it and yadda yadda yadda......one of the gauges is suspected to be partially funded possibly and the other is going to be zilch.....

I've emailed a reply basically saying what if volunteers could be trained to at least help some and maybe reduce some cost.....

I'll post any other info I receive....

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If there is any form of wireless communication it is ridiculous that a digital gauge can't be used that sends a signal to an office. Or an old style scale with a cam on it at least. Calibration can be made yearly as I am sure it really only entails checking the sediment depths and cleaning equipment.. $15k??? please... more Gov't overspending...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If there is any form of wireless communication it is ridiculous that a digital gauge can't be used that sends a signal to an office. Or an old style scale with a cam on it at least. Calibration can be made yearly as I am sure it really only entails checking the sediment depths and cleaning equipment.. $15k??? please... more Gov't overspending...
Agreed.....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Received another email from USGS. The volunteer idea as I suspected is a no go. Also, she said to inform her if I/we come across any funding options/sponsors.

I'll say this: I'm impressed with their replies. I wasn't expecting to really receive a reply at all.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want to bump this to the top. Anybody have any ideas as to organizations/businesses/sponsors that could help out on this situation? Thanks......

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sundrop, you are right on target. Seems like a great opportunity for an outfitter to set up a webcam pointing at a stick gauge, and splash their name and wares to the buying/renting public.
I don't see calibration as an issue, silt or not, water level is water level, set it right, maintain it as needed. Have fun with it, make it not official, make it useful and entertaining.

Years ago, there was a outfitter in Colorado that had a cam pointed at their canoe landing with steps, and folks in the area used the number of steps covered as the water level, pretty cool actually. There were 6 steps, and when none were showing too much water, more than 4, you would be dragging your boat.

Fishscalz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts