NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys this is a thread from another web site and this letter is talking about the towing problems we as boaters have been having in NC this past year. people are having large fines placed on them by the DMV for pulling boats that are over width. this problem has also been in the last 2 or 3 issues of the ncsportsman mag. but to get to the point the link below is something hotspot has wrote up for all who will sign. all you have to do is read the letter and fill out the bottom of the sheet and then click send . this letter is being sent to the local goverment to try and get them to step in and help out all who tow a boat. feel free to read about all the problems we have been having. all you have to do is do a search for nc towing problems and you will find out all of the stuff that has been going on.

below is the link to the letter....

Towing Issues In North Carolina

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
< on the bandwagon! I might have something big enough to worry about someday!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Here is just one example of how you can be affected:

My rig is within the 102” until you measure my guide-on posts, from outside to outside, I am over just a little. So does this mean I have to get a wide load permit and follow the wide load permit rules? Should I just take my guide-on posts off? I have been towing this rig in NC since November of 2002 and have never had any issues. This is BS for sure. Think about all the pontoon folks out there going to lakes every weekend. MANY of them are over 102”. This is a BIG DEAL FOLKS!!

Everyone that tows a boat in NC needs to please take the time and click on the link below. This issue affects everyone that tows a boat either now or in the future. The link is a letter that you can send to your legislators with concerns about the boat towing issues in North Carolina. You do not have to be a NC resident to express your concern.

You don’t have to compose a letter it is done for you. All you have to do is fill out your name, address, e-mail, and security code that is on the screen. The letter will be sent to our legislators in Raleigh. Even if you tow a trailer that is not in question one day you might, so let your voice be heard. This issue is very fluid right now and changes can be and will be made we just have to let the people that make the changes know our position.

Thanks to those that worked to put this letter together and the code to send the letter.

Like you, I have been towing boats for years in NC, I don’t want my right to tow my boat when I need too taken away.

Click on the link below

NC Towing Issues Form Letter

·
Registered
358 Posts
In total, over 1300 emails were sent via my application.

This topic is red hot on several other NC forums. I will try to keep it updated here.

There was a meeting last night in Wilmington. The SHP hosted the meeting in order to explain the "laws." There were several legislators there, boat companies, SKA, and about 300 boaters.

I was not able to attend. I can tell you that I spoke to several that went and they all reflected the same exact sentiments, everything is still clear as mud!!!!

Hopefully changes are coming and we are preparing a letter that you can easily to send to your local representatives.

The newest item that no one was aware of:

If your boat and trailer together weigh over 4000 pounds, the trailer must have brakes on at least one axle and the trailer must be inspected yearly by an authorized station ($9.) The sticker you receive is similar to the motorcycle sticker.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Along with this, the Highway Patrol is checking weights on boat trailers..check your registration and it should tell you your weight, check yours to see if you are overloaded.....gas, tackle, ice, accessories all add up quickly and count as your present weight.....

State patrol officeres have the scales in there cars and can stop and check...

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
806 Posts
:confused:Hot Spot, I drive tractor trailers and sometimes I pull wide loads,DMV will measure the widest point no matter what;for example,If ther is abolt head sticking out they consider that as the widest point:eek::eek::eek:I have already sent my email

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am compiling a database that will power my NEW application that will allow you all to send statement to your direct representatives based on your county of residence.

It will take many hours to complete, but it is worth the time.

MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MOENY MONEY

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Thanks for all that your doing on this issue -Hotspot. It would seem that NC is the only state that are so zealously ticketing these laws. They must figure that they can fix the state's budget with all these tickets.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for all that your doing on this issue -Hotspot. It would seem that NC is the only state that are so zealously ticketing these laws. They must figure that they can fix the state's budget with all these tickets.
And more money from selling weighted tags, cdl licenses for some drivers etc. They can't even keep up with there normal duties in a timely manner so this should really send the dmv folks over the edge.

With the economy in the shape it is in now and the price of fuel:eek: and with all this trailer mess going on, more boats will probably sit unused or be put up for sale with no one to buy them. Maybe when the state starts missing some of that tax money from a drop in tourism they will come to their senses but is very doubtful.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I agree with you Scott. I know that I have comtemplated foregoing some of my trips to the coast. I don't want to be towing a big ol' bullseye around the beach for the SHP to zero in on!!!

I wouldn't worry about the loss of tax revenue, I'm sure they already have a plan in the works to get some more somewhere.

I remember the Dems took control of congress 2 years ago promising to do something about the high gas prices. Wonder what happened to that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.