NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant decide which I like better, the Bad Idea T-shirt ad or the roadkill t-shirt ad. I guess I will have to look at them again and decide.:D

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
If you're referring to the banner ad below the "sponsors" link boxes.... Unless I am way off my guess, those ads are targetted to you and your browser based on the cookies and history of your browser. So you are the only one who sees exactly those ads.

I get ads for Academy Sporting Goods and various autos since I've been researching a pick up truck lately.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have no idea what ya'll are talking about. The only Ads I see are the little banners at the top and bottom

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
This help any? (IE9 with no blocking software)... There are of course, many ways to suppress this type of ad. Obviously, I looked at campers on Ebay at some point in the last week.

Product Font Screenshot Rectangle Software

This is considered to be a solid advertising method. If it's for a related product you haven't looked for online, it's because your history is dedicated to similar products. If it's the exact product, it's generally referred to as "re-targetting" to get you to come back and buy.

How does it find out? Well, an advertiser has tracking cookies that get put in your browser when you visit any site.... The banner ad may put them there. And everytime you visit a site, it logs it in the tracking cookie....

You can do private browsing to prevent this from occurring between sessions. You can install privacy software. You can edit your hosts file to point all ad servers to a blank page. Lots of choices to prevent this.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I actually prefer that to random stuff. Right now I am seeing bluetooth keyboards for Androids. I have been using my wife's, which is really for an iPad and trying to decide if it is worth buying an Andriod specific one just for the shortcut keys. Seeing better prices on the Logitech than I found at first...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
doesn't bother me, its not in the "text" of the forum, just border trash. I get tons of that all over the place on my mail and all kinds of pages.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Now I got Nissan ads. Never shopped for or owned a foreign car in my life.
Once a banner is placed on a web site, it's a function on what advertiser pays the most for the most number of views.

Frequently, that payer will be a retargeter company (showing you products you previously looked at online or similar products) because retargeters get a lot more per click than general ads, so they can pay more than most general ads. Sometimes it will be a company with deep pockets like Nissan, who is runnign a major promotion and wants to get more people to visit their site. Sometimes, the retargeters/deep pockets have exceeded their ad budget for that ad for the day/week/month, and other types of ads appear.

As a guy who's bought ads in such banners, I've had a lot of presentations by marketers who want my ad dollars. So I've learned a bit about this.

Reactions: Swampin'

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
The new owners of NCangler.com have activated those google ads and as biglenr indicated the ones you see are determined by your web browsing history or lack thereof. The only Sponsors of NCangler.com are still the ones highlighted on our Sponsors page and seen on the homepage and the dedicated banner space above the threads that have been there for some time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.