NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how other people are keeping up-to-date with NCangler.com forums. Thought I'd start a thread with some of what I've been doing and get input from other folks on how they keep track of things out here.

For the longest time (a year) I just watched the 10 or so threads in the recent posts list on the home page. If there was a thread I didn't want to read, I'd just ignore it and it would slip off the list. I'm online a lot of the time, so I didn't feel like too much was sliding past me. (I was wrong, and it started to catch up to me as I got more and more active).

Recently, I was introduced to the New Posts link on the menu bar. It lists all the threads in all the forums that have new posts I haven't seen yet (which can be a lot - it took me about 2 days after starting to use it before I could get it cleared down to zero). Its sort of like treating all of the NCangler.com forums as a single forum list. Works great for a moderator who's trying to see everything and it was exactly what I was looking for. I haven't tried using it in a mode where I'd skip some posts and view others. Not sure how well that would work. It does keep track of the difference between threads you've seen in its view (you know these have new posts) versus threads you haven't seen (you didn't know they had new posts). If you ignore one, it moves below a seen/not seen line until it eventually falls off the list (5 days?).

I kind of skipped over using the Forums List to monitor activity. There are indicators on each of the forums as to whether they've got posts (threads?) you haven't seen. I guess this is the way to selectively choose which forums you want to pay attention to. I will use it to find an old post when something triggers a memory, or to use the search features.

I had been enabling the email subscriptions for threads that I posted to, but that got less useful once I started using new posts and seeing everything anyway. I still keep that enabled for PMs.

Anybody else care to share how they navigate/monitor activity?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Like you, I primarily watch the 10 on the fromt page and when I feel like I might want to "research" something, I use the forum listing. I usually hit the mew posts once a day. When I am tracking something that I have posted in and it has faded off the fromt page, I use the Control Panel.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There we go - I already learned something. I hadn't ever paid attention to the thread list in User CP. I guess those are all the threads you've ever posted to. I've used the self search trick where I click my own name and hit "find all posts by jeffonc", but User CP seems more direct.

Thanks!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
"New posts" always leads me to everything that is new, so it is the only thing I use unless I'm looking for old info. Then its user CP or search function. Simple format and I never miss a thing!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.