NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
What about lakes with summer kills?

Will the higher size limit even work?
As much as I like having stripers that close by, Jordan is a poor choice IMO. OTOH, maybe the magic mixers they spent so much money on will keep enough oxygen in the water for better survival. Are there other lakes that have had big die offs?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I know this is kind of off the subject, so I apologize in advance. The NCWRC should do away with size/number restrictions of any kind. They obviously don't have the number of people required to enforce the rules they have now, so just do away with all of them. I am on the water almost every weekend, and I only saw one game warden this year. Come to think of it, that was on Wylie, so that was probably a SC warden. No need for rules, when there is no one to enforce them.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I know this is kind of off the subject, so I apologize in advance. The NCWRC should do away with size/number restrictions of any kind. They obviously don't have the number of people required to enforce the rules they have now, so just do away with all of them. I am on the water almost every weekend, and I only saw one game warden this year. Come to think of it, that was on Wylie, so that was probably a SC warden. No need for rules, when there is no one to enforce them.
I follow regulations even when there is zero chance of getting caught. It should be about respect for the resource and the rules, not fear of getting caught.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
My signature says it all...
* With "Self regulation", comes "De-regulation". Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws * *
Ideally, if everyone agreed about the state of the resource and how it currently needs to be treated, that might work. I think the resource does benefit from proper management and that does mean establishing some policies about what stocks need to be harvested more or less aggressively. Those policies aren't ever going to be universally agreed upon, so some regulation is probably always going to be needed in the real world.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
As much as I like having stripers that close by, Jordan is a poor choice IMO. OTOH, maybe the magic mixers they spent so much money on will keep enough oxygen in the water for better survival. Are there other lakes that have had big die offs?
It is a poor choice. The only reason they have done as well as they have on Kerr and Gaston is water flow.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
My signature says it all...
Too many people with too many different ideas about what they should be doing or what should be done. You got this crowd over here thinking keeping any catfish over 10 pounds is the fast track to **** for you and your entire family tree and you got a group over there that thinks every thing should be thrown back, and then you got one guy over yonder that thinks if you can see a fin and a gill it means it can swim in hot grease.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Many people follow the rules for their own merit. Those who do not have law enforcement to consider, which serves as a deterrent. The idea of a deterrent is that they know they *could* get caught, and thus are less likely to break those rules. There will always be those self-entitled jerks that think they are above the rules, and I agree more enforcement would be nice; but the rules do make a difference, as most people actually follow them or try to. Those who break them will eventually get caught, even if it's not this week or next week... it will eventually catch up with them, and that helps reduce the impact of wrong-doers over time. I drove all over three counties yesterday and didn't see any cops. Guess there's no necessity for speed limits, either. ;)

Reactions: ncnat

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I know on falls lake there were no creel limits or size restrictions and "we" me the folks who fish with me and many others excersize a minimum of 10" with. A 20 fish limit and we do cull live healthy fish to help the population and yes there are bucket loads of butter bean size fish carried out by others but I am doing my part . And it is a at fishery .

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
well guys as far as striper fishing i think its a good idea. that way the limits are the same for almost the whole state. then we would only have 3 lakes that have different reg. and that is only during the summer months.right now the regulations for this state has i know of at least 3 different laws dealing with striped bass. by changing the laws it will make it easier to know what they are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.