NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Interesting that the article makes no mention of Randleman. They have several of the same types of enclosures at this lake as they do in Oak Hollow. Although they may all be high and dry now since the lake is down about 4 feet.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
There are several of these enclosures at Jordan Lake, they have been there about 2 years and vegitation growth is minimal in them.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
This is a good thing. Good for them. Now they have about a hundred other lakes to hit along with some "exotic" stockings of musky, shoalies, and smallmouths in the local flows to get going one.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
There are a few on Randleman that seem to have begun to take root pretty well. Some of them aren't as robust, but some are....or were, I haven't seen the main lake in a couple of months.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nooooooooo.......not Hydrilla. That is a nasty weed that though it is good cover, will close the lake in and foul motors so there won't be any way to get to the good fishing. Also, boats and trailers will carry it to other lakes, and it is practically impossible to control. I spent many years in aquatic weed control research, and hope to never see Hydrilla again. In some areas it gets so bad that you have to have your boat/trailer inspected so the weed can't spread; lets don't get into that!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Aquatic vegetation for habitat.

In my humble opinion, or as my grandson says while texting on his phone IMHO, the best bass habitat and the most fun fishing it is a good stand of lily pads. A surface strike on a frog or popper in lilies is a real kick. The lilies provide shade, cover, breeding locations for forage, ambush sites, lake bottom stability, lower shallow water temps, and other advantages. Also, if it looks like it's getting out of hand, it is easily controlled by spraying only the ones you want to kill, with a particular weedkiller registered for use in water. I'm glad to read in the announcement that they are testing lilies, but I wish they would just do it! :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
It says aquatic vegetation in the article. I wonder how it will fare at High Rock, now that it will probably be high and dry for most of Otober and November?
This is a time sensitive news release done from one district biologist. The actual program is being conducted all over the piedmont and mountain region in various lakes.
I am the crew leader that planted everything in High Rock. High Rock is a big experiment to see what will actually come back after a winter draw down. We placed a number of habitat cages in coves all over the lake near the backs of coves to reduce the wave action on the plants. We planted both submerged and emergent plants including eel grass, pickerel weed, spadderdock, white lilies, and a handful of other plants. We got excellent growth out of most of the plants and many even seeded out which is what we hope for. The big question now is if they will survive being exposed in the winter. As most of you know, the big native plant around here is water willow. It doesn't like being exposed too much and we have had a time trying to get it going. So trying other plants is the big thing now... we will see. The lily pads and pickerel weed did excellent...so hopefully they will come back next year. I have some lily pads in my personal pond. They get exposed in the late summer from drought...and they make it through the winter fine. Spring rains bring my pond back up to full pool and the lilies come back as well. They don't spread much though. The other thing we are watching for is predation from turtles, grass carp, and any other land animal that can get into the cages. Turtles love eel grass and other young vegetation and there are plenty in all of these lakes. It is easy to see the plants flourish in the enclosures once they get established, but get snipped off outside of the cages.
Our hope is that at some point the plants will get a decent enough foothold in their growth and reproduction that the enclosures will get removed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.