NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been jigging for flounder around the ARs lately and enjoying the flounder fishing. What are some tips and tricks for jigging for flounder w/ 2 oz spro jigs and gulp bait, specifically what kind of jigging pattern do you guys prefer?

I've been using a short (~12 in), sharp and rapid jerk of my rod tip and it seems to work well. Has anyone found that a larger jigging motion (like a whole rod length) or a slower or even more rapid jigging works better? Do you prefer to bounce on the bottom or just over it? Any tips appreciated and I'll give some of mine.

I like to focus on the concrete pipes, like right up on them. I like a white jig w/ a little chartreuse and I prefer the gulp shrimp over the ripple mullet (doesnt get bit in half as much). I also dont like to have any lean in the line and try to keep jigging as vertical as possible.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Vertical as possible, short snappy jerks off the bottom 12 inches or so, and fish the low relief structure. Flounder don't relate well to the high relief stuff and it causes you to break off. If you find one and can anchor on it or hold position with I pilot or your engine your chances of catching more are high.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I try to keep my jig in constant contact with the bottom and fish as vertical as possible. That means little "pops" as opposed to jerks. One the most valuable things you can use is a drift sock. I cannot overstate how important one of those can be when the wind and/or tide move you along too quickly. They come in different sizes depending on the length of your boat. Flounder do not like high relief, so look for other types of stuff around the AR's. The coordinates can be found online.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Explain relief for me if you don't mind. I think I know what you mean but not 100%

Or is that the secret? 😀

Sent from my XT1080
Brent, you'll mark stuff that comes up 6 feet or more off the bottom. This is the "high relief" stuff. This is where NOT to fish...for flounder anyway. Mark those spots and fish around the edges as vertical as possible. Weather will dictate how you accomplish this, drifting, drift sock, trolling motor, or anchoring and fan casting. Some of the ARs can be real jig eaters. Some are worse than others it seems. Lord knows I lost my share of jigs last weekend. Find the bottom with your jig but stay off the bottom as much as possible if it's one of the bad ones. Your leader can take a real beating too so check it often. Use any color jig as long as it's white.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Without a doubt, the AR 320 is the jig-eatingest reef out there. Bruce is so right, white is the color of choice for the jig and trailer. But another color to have on board in jigs is pink. Incidentally, Spro has raised prices on their jigs but there are several quality knock-offs available at local tackle shops here in the MHC area.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Those Skinner videos are informative for sure, but keep in mind the conditions are totally different up there: There is a very viable population of good-sized flounder ("fluke") from the Jersey shore through Long Island and they have no pinfish, lizardfish, 3" sea bass, or other bait-stealing, Gulp destroying nibblers to contend with. The videos also illustrate what reasonable size and bag limits and smart commercial fishing regs can do for a fishery, but that's a whole other story!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just curious, what size jig (in ounces I guess) and what size rod/reel are you using for this technique?
As is usually the answer...it depends. Most of the ARs are 40 - 60 ft deep. I use as light as possible depending on conditions like current, wind, boat drift speed, etc. Usually 1.5 to 2 oz. will maintain bottom pretty well and allow you to stay pretty vertical. Sometimes lighter jigs if conditions are right. I prefer spinning gear with a MH rod and 30 and 40 size reels. Some guys prefer bait-casters for jigging. Either way, braid helps a lot to "feel" the bottom.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Standard size is 2 oz bucktail, but use the lightest that will get you to the bottom and keep you vertical given the water depth, current, wind. 7' medium spinning / casting rod are pretty standard. Something light enough that you can work the bait without exhausting yourself but with enough power to pull a big flattie off the bottom.

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
I hate to admit it but 30 years ago I moved from LI. Prior to the good Lord blessing me with a way to move here I fished LI S shore. This was my main interest and I can say the fluke fishing was not good. I spoke with a few fishing friends from there recently and they all told me the fishing has mainly just gotten worse. There are no more flounder as we knew them up there (winter flounder? ). I was told people do the even fish for them because the numbers are gone. Fluke, I was told, are hardly ever caught on the south Shore either. I suspect this guy fishes the LI Sound but I really don't know.
My friends told me the only fish being caught consistently and in numbers are striped bass. When I lived there, or should I say existed there, I fished many times for them and never got a single one. They were very scarce then and have come back. Of course they don't suggest eating them due to what's in the meat.
I didn't know the regs up there but when the bay is being fished by so many boats you can walk a mile hopping from one to another it would be difficult to reign in any species imo.
YMMV

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

·
Registered
525 Posts
Jigging

I'm with the rest of the guys on the bucktails; 2 oz. is standard but I'll go as light (or heavy) as I can to just maintain bottom contact. I use 4000-sized reels (Stradic Ci4+ or Sustain) and a 7' Trevala jigging rod or a med/hvy Terramar. All Shimano. 30# Power Pro, and a 30" fluorocarbon leader. Bucktail color? White is the standard, but I like pink, too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Challenger, I'm not sure where your friends fish but I can tell you the (Fluke) flounder fishing on the south shore from Jones inlet to Montauk is going strong with big fish (7+lbs regularly). In the LIS fishing has also been great for big fish. They had a limit about 2 years ago of one fish at 21 inches now you can keep 5 at 18. My brother limits out on a regular basis out of Moriches. I'm trying to learn the flounder fishing technique in the south and have caught a few. Up north was easy pickins for me as I grew up on the sound but down here.....it is starting all over. No complaints though and with the smaller boat I just got I plan on hitting the beach more. As for the bait stealing fish up North....guess they forgot about the Scup (Porgy) those things will eat and steal anything. Tight Lines.

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Challenger, I'm not sure where your friends fish but I can tell you the (Fluke) flounder fishing on the south shore from Jones inlet to Montauk is going strong with big fish (7+lbs regularly). In the LIS fishing has also been great for big fish. They had a limit about 2 years ago of one fish at 21 inches now you can keep 5 at 18. My brother limits out on a regular basis out of Moriches. I'm trying to learn the flounder fishing technique in the south and have caught a few. Up north was easy pickins for me as I grew up on the sound but down here.....it is starting all over. No complaints though and with the smaller boat I just got I plan on hitting the beach more. As for the bait stealing fish up North....guess they forgot about the Scup (Porgy) those things will eat and steal anything. Tight Lines.
Maybe I got bad information or the guy telling me the poor reports wasn't doing well personally.
I very rarely target flounder but in the few years I did I've found the system I used up there to be effective here. That's when I used bait and I am trying to get away from that since I fish from a kayak and have found dealing with live bait to be a pain.
Good luck in your flounder fishing.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

G

·
I always have a great selection of jigs on hand. I SCUBA dive also so I just go down on 320 and get them by the bucketfuls. :)
A lot of concrete rubble and concrete drainage pipes, and they are all covered in coral and growth. That's what snaggs your tackle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.