NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I am not sure I know what you are asking for slowalker0. A crate? Legal? However, welcome to NCangler and I am sure that someone here can figure this one out. I only know about cucumber/pickle/potato crates since I live down east. Is that the type of crate you are looking for?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
If you're looking for a "milk crate" that doesn't say "Unlawful when used by any other than such-and-such dairy company", any office supply store has such items, usually just a little bigger than the original, but often also not as robust. They use them for storing hanging files. West Marine also carries good ones - original size and strength.

Reactions: slowalker0

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I should be able to find the crate. I don't exactly have a Kayak, but rather an inflatable canoe (Sevylor Colorado). But it's very "kayak like". I have only had it in the water twice. Once to Macintosh, that went O.K.; then to Belews, by 10:30 AM the lake was filling up with ski boats, party barges and jet skis. Time to leave.

Planning on going to Cane creek, University and maybe lower Haw.

Anyone have ideas re outfitting an inflatable?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Kelley Jernigan here on the site played with it for a while last year. He got a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak, but found very quickly that the wind blew it around like a balloon. But he did learn a couple of things about lashing his west-marine crate to it, and arranging his ballast, and so forth. Next time I run into him I'll mention that you're asking.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I guess with an inflatable those crates will be your best bet. You can attach rod holders and all of your accessories to that. Bungee straps will be a good thing to have handy as well..

·
Registered
608 Posts
Milk crates are great. The real ones are extremely sturdy and occassionally you can find an abandoned one on the side of the road. After rigging many kayaks over the years, I actually quit putting flush mount or Scotty holders on the deck between the seat and the tank well. One because it was just more holes in the kayak, but mainly because the rods can get in the way on my back cast, or get tangled up when a big snook pulls you in the mangroves....I know that will not be a problem here. But this is how I 'engineered' one of my crates:

With rods etc:

Fits well in the tank well on most boats. But crates are handy, they can carry all the loose items most take with them on kayak fishing trips and cut down on the amount of trips from car to launch.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You could strap that to a cheap Handtruck and Wah LA!! PIERCART!!!! Tackle box and 6 pack cooler goes in the crate, hang your drop net on the back and your good to go!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.