NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a favor guys,

In a few weeks I'll be hosting a Fishing Derby for my son's Cub Scout Pack in Clayton. One of the things some of the boys will be doing is making & using a fishing lure to earn a badge. In an article that NC Angler posted, http://www.ncangler.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4335#post4335 , there was a cool idea to make lures outta CDs. You know the junk AOL CDs you get in the mail.

Any, I need as many of the these trash CDs as I can get me hands on. If anyone has a few laying around, I'd be glad to reimburse you the cost of the postage to send them to me. I'm sure the boys'll appreciate it. And of course, I'll make sure I take some good photos of the resulting lures to share with you guys.

THANKS!

·
Registered
341 Posts
PH,

What a great activity for a bunch of boys. I tried the idea with some of my writable disks and had some problems. The big problem is that the writable surface on these disks is actually adhered to the cd and not embedded in it. Consequently, when you cut the plastic, the shiny part comes off like very thin aluminum foil. The solution is to simply glue two CDs together (with the shiny side out, obviously) and, when the glue has set up, cut them. As for glue, I would tend to use one of the urethane glues (like Gorilla glue) as they are waterproof. They are a bit messy for small hands so it may be prudent to glue up a bunch of disks before giving them to the kids.

I have had good success cutting them using a table scroll saw but that may be a bit much for cub scouts. You could have the kids draw their designs on the CD and then have a dad cut them. The kids could then finish them off with sand paper (actually, emery board nail files work well and are easier for small hands to control) and a bit of paint or sharpie marker for eyes and gills.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for tips Coach. Good idea on the pre-glueing! As soon as I have more than one;), I'll break out the Gorilla Glue. Already picked up a pack of retractable Sharpies and have the split-rings onhand too.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got What I Needed

I think I have an ample supply for the boys:cool:. I think I have enough to make 50 to 75 lures and probably won't make anywhere near that many. Thanks to all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.