NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, great site. I'm new to the site and have a couple questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with. I've done a good share of surf/shark and inshore fishing in the Gulf, but I am, however, new to surf fishing in North Carolina.

First, I live in Raleigh, so I'd normally be making weekend trips to the beach to fish. I've read about Fort Fisher, Topsail, and Freeman Park/Carolina Beach (I do have a 4x4) as good spots to go, but the crowds being a bit of a problem in the summer. Do you guys have any beaches that are maybe less crowded during the summer months? Or a good spot to go regardless of the crowds? I do intend on spending the night fishing.

Second, I've been looking into buying a baitfeeder reel and I've narrowed it down to three choices: the Okuma Epixor 65, Okuma Avenger 50/65, and Daiwa Regal Bite N Run 5000/5500. Do you guys have any experience with any of these reels? I'm not trying to break the bank, but I don't want a piece of junk either, you know? I'm willing to shell out a few more bucks if something is significantly better, but I'm trying to keep it under $100, if possible.

Thanks to all of you who contribute to this site, it really helps out guys like me. And thank you in advance to any replies, I can't wait to get out there!

·
Registered
332 Posts
philsfan for spots to fish check out ft.macon along the jetties there thats always pretty good surf fishing there as for spending the nite there im not about that i beleave that you cannot.and for the reel types I am not sure on them and welcome to the site ,Im a phillies fan also

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Redbeards. Hadn't read about Ft. Macon before. And just to clarify, I don't plan on sleeping on the beach unless the beach allows it, but I plan on fishing well into the night. Also, to anyone else, I'm not asking for your secret spots or anything (Lord knows I have some too!), just some generic areas/beaches that might hold some big boys. Anyone heard any reviews about those reels? Thanks to all for any replies!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
The parking lot for the Ft. Macon jettie area is part of the Fort Macon State Park and the gates are locked at I believe 8:00 and not opened until the morning. Emerald Isle and Topsail Island are miles long and offer miles of places to fish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks speckhunter. Never been to Emerald Isle or Topsail, but I have heard good things... would I be allowed to fish until 2-3am if I can find a place to park? I'm worried about getting out there and getting ready to wet a few lines, then getting run off by rangers, cops, etc., because it's too late.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I fish AB most of the time. You can stay all night, sleep in a chair right next to your rods, if you can sleep.
Not camping Sir, I'm fishin.

Right now my casting reels are a Penn 950ss, Diawa 50ha, and an Okuma Solterra 15cs. Couple of 6/0's for yak baits.
Good time of the year from here on out. Water is warm.
beagle

·
Registered
151 Posts
My focus is only sharks, but I do keep an ear tuned to what's being caught. I have not fished Ft M due to not being able to stay the night.
Ncwaterman is a good site to keep tabs on as well as pierandsurf along with this one. I check all three each lunch.
You can pretty much take any beach report from EI all the way to Ft M and be catching the same. If the pomps are biting at EI, they are biting at AB.
I'll be down on Sat for a week with the family, do the Dad thing during the day, fish from 6pm on to the wee hours, and do it all over again. Pray for light winds.
beagle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks beagle, that helps a lot. One question though... if I'm casting from the beach, is it beneficial to maybe walk 100-150 yards down the beach from a pier since it is a good structure and cast out from there? Or is that going to be a problem running the risk of hooking something and having it run up the beach toward the pier and breaking you off? I know the best thing is to read the water and look for the bars, but I was just wondering if there was any benefit to hanging relatively near the pier since it may hold some fish. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mike,
Well, it is structure and holds bait, (on hooks, of course, as well as other), so I would be willing to bet that more fish localize around the piers.
It is normally tough to fish within 100yrds or so to either side as the surfer/board crowd is normally in those slots if there are any waves at all. If you are little fishin, pomps, croaker, etc, then it should be no problem as you are not having to be putting that bait way out. If you are chunkin 8 and bait, I'd move away.
The beach is normally fishable till 10am as far as crowds go, and I can always find room after 6pm. I just try and make bait during the day with my boy and his buddies and relax.
beagle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your replies, beagle and everyone else. Anyone ever have any luck surf fishing Wrightsville? Wrightsville is where I usually go if I head to the beach, but I've never fished it, so it'd be most convenient if the fishing is good. Or do you think it'd be better to just drive the extra 45 minutes to Surf City/Topsail and fish there?
Thanks, Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.