NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I bought an Abu 5601 C4 (the 1 is lefty retrieve) to use at the beach to cast spoons and lures in the surf. I bought a Cabela's fish eagle 8'6" med action casting rod. The reel is spooled with 30lb. braid on a mono backing.

I'm looking for a rod to allow me to use this reel for bass and/or catfishing. I was thinking possibly a crankbait rod as the reel can cast really far, or possibly a pitching stick or something for throwing heavy c-rigs. I already have 2 casting combo's for more run of the mill stuff so I would like to find something which can take advantage of the large spool capacity and casting ability of the C4.

Also at the moment I'm bank bound but plan on getting a yak when finances allow.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That reel isn't huge, so any 6'6" to 7'0" casting rod will work. Pick your favorite brand, model, action and go to work. I find that my abu round reels don't really cast any farther than the low profile reels. Of course, if you tie on a large lure with low wind resistance on a long flexy crank rod, you'll get great distance. However, the same would happen with almost any other newer reel.

I think rods over 7' are tough to handle in a canoe/kayak, particularly casting rods due to the longer butts and lack of room around your waist to work the rod with your arms in a comfortable position whilst sitting. Something to consider.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't you usually want mono when throwing cranks?

Also does anyone have any experience with Berkeley Lightning cranking rods? I saw one at wal mart for a decent price.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I like the lightning rods. I have a couple and for the money they work fine. Mine didnt come from walmart though.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
You do want to be using mono when using cranks. It's not absolutely necessary but it saves a lot of pulled hooks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts