NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a conventional or level wind reel and rod to match. The reels I am looking at are the TLD 15, Tekota 600, or charter special (others?). I would like to pair it with a rod for Kayak fishing in the 20-50 lb range (Tallus?). Rather than have a stiffer trolling rod, I would like to have a little extra length and flex (7 ft?)

Target species- Kings/Cobia, as well as bottom fishing reefs. Versatility is key.
I would also be using this combo for cats when I can't get to the salt.

Thanks in advance!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Shimano Curado E 300. Don't sweat the levelwind. Guys have been using them on the WC for years to catch yellowtail & schoolie tuna up to 30-40 lbs. Load it with 40 - 50 lb braid and a short mono leader & you've got a very versatile, light weight set up that will handle inshore saltwater brutes. Strong enough for bigger fish, light enough that you can cast artificials a good distance all day without killing yourself. Don't worry about line capacity. You can fit 200 yds of 50# braid on that reel. With 15 lbs of drag, if you hook a big boy on your yak, lock down the drag and go for a ride. There are dozens of possible rods for that reel & application you described. a 7' MH - H inshore casting rod is probably your best bet. Shimano Teramar is a good choice, but there are many others. Star, St Croix, GLoomis, Daiwa, Okuma-- even Tsunami Airwaves makes a very good rod for your application at a reasonable price. I'd go to your local tackle shop and find rods in your price range & shake a few. Much easier to fish than the cannons in the pic above, though I agree that the Penn Squall is a fine reel. You can find used Curados on Ebay too, but buyer beware.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
If you want versatility go fathom or squall as mentioned. Difference between these and the tld is the huge difference in castability. Free floating spool works wonders for pitching baits to Cobia. 25 narrow is extremely versatile but a 15 will work if you back it with braid for kings (to get capacity up)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.