NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my 18 year old brother to the emerald isle area next wednesday-sunday for a graduation present. He lives in Nebraska and has done very little ocean fishing so I am hoping to put him on a variety of fish. Any kind are fine and we can do surf, pier, and may even get out on a small boat once or twice. Also any time of day or night. If its worth it I was even thinking of driving further north one day.

Given all that what would your suggestions be?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Hit the pier, Bogue or drive down to Seaview. They have a blanket license so you don't have to buy one if you surf fish you have to buy. Having no experience in surf fishing you also have a good chance of catching nothing. One the piers you have a better shot and can just copy those who are catching, ask questions, most are willing to help. Rinse your gear off IMMEDIATELY when you are ready to go. There is usually a hose around the pier house or cleaning station or the beach shower you can use but get the salt off as quick as possible and you will be fine. If you use fresh bait buy from a roadside vendor or seafood shop, not the stuff prepackaged from who knows where like at the grocer, and not the frozen stuff at the pier house. 2 hook bottom rigs with shrimp, or "Fish bites" bloodworm alternative will produce if you want to relax and fish or get a "gotcha plug" or diamond jig and cast off the end of the pier. (you will see the crowd doing it). The pier house can sell you everything you need as far as tackle, or hit one of the tackle shops in town and tell them what you're doing, and they will guide you right. Don't just walk in walmart and start buying stuff you will spend more than necessary or buy stuff you don't need or is wrong. No need to come north, the water is just warming up and its firing up strong on the Crystal Coast. by next week things will be calmed down from the tropical system too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should clarify I have experience both surf and pier though I have a lot to learn. However my brother has none. Figuring out bites in heavy surf can be tricky. Hopefully we get several good days while were there so a bad day where he gets a feel for things won't hurt. Any chance the puppy drum will be active anywhere? If we can get out in the estuary in a boat where would you go? I also have a cast net and am fairly decent with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.