NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you give me some tips for fishing docks for flounder in tidal water? You want moving water but you don't want too much current correct? Or can you catch flounder all the way through the strongest current. The times I've tried i've cast toward the dock from the front of it and my bait is swept sideways so fast I don't think a flounder would catch it. I think what I need to do is get in between the sets of docks, anchor and cast right into or right beside the eddies created by each dock piling. Also docks in deeper water are better than docks in 2 foot right? I kind of have an obsession with flounder and i'm not overly successful with them. Caught one 17-18 inches last time I was out but I want to learn to slay them.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Jot Owens and that crowd down in snow's cut catch some of NC's biggest flounder. From what i gather, he likes the first couple hours of incoming tide and they use 1/4 oz.-3/8 oz. jigheads for artificials in moving water. Helps get the bait down. Seems like 5 and 6" jerk shads are the ticket, other than a live mullet on a scaled-down c-rig. Docks closer to deep water tend to definitely produce more fish, such as docks on the ICW and creek docks with a decent channel.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My flounder rig is a tandem gulp shrimp with a 1/2oz jighead on the bottom. I should give the jerk shads a try. Seems like they would sink in the current nicely. With the tandem rig it doesn't matter if your overweighted a bit and dragging bottom because the top shrimp will be in the strike zone.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Flounder love fast moving water they love slow moving water as a matter affect the water doesn't even have to move. If your fishing a fast tide anchor down up current from the dock your fishing and cast your bait back to the dock and let the tide take it under it use a bigger sinker if your using a carolina rig. I primarily only fish Britts bucktails in all situation and I find 5/8 is the ticket regardless of the depth or speed of the current. Here is a few pictures from a few days ago we had a pretty fair trip

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your sayin let the current take your bait under the dock and then retrieve against current? This basically rewrites everything your read about flounder fishing.. Flounder face into the current right?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Your sayin let the current take your bait under the dock and then retrieve against current? This basically rewrites everything your read about flounder fishing.. Flounder face into the current right?
Yes they face into the current but they are reaction feeders. you can go the opposite route if you like but your going to have to step up your weight so if you throw inbetween the poles it will sink fast so you dont have to over cast to get it to stay under that dock. Also if you decide to go up current and cast back into the current you stand the chance of not getting hung up as easily. Or you can go the vertical route get right up on the dock and just pitch the bait under the dock and let it be vertical everyone fishes different. I just know the way i fish works for me.

·
Registered
847 Posts
So what makes the Britts buck tail different from the others? Do you tip it with something? They look like any other. Just curious. I know 5/8 are hard to come by sometimes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Flounder love fast moving water they love slow moving water as a matter affect the water doesn't even have to move. If your fishing a fast tide anchor down up current from the dock your fishing and cast your bait back to the dock and let the tide take it under it use a bigger sinker if your using a carolina rig. I primarily only fish Britts bucktails in all situation and I find 5/8 is the ticket regardless of the depth or speed of the current. Here is a few pictures from a few days ago we had a pretty fair trip

How long do you usually fish a dock before deciding to move on the the next?

·
Registered
170 Posts

Where are the pics?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I've caught my fair share of flounders fishing at night off docks where light shines in the water as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So what makes the Britts buck tail different from the others? Do you tip it with something? They look like any other. Just curious. I know 5/8 are hard to come by sometimes.
SO what makes a britt bucktail different from everyone elses? First off i will start off with QUALITY and PRIDE! All my bucktails are 100% handmade. I poor all my own jigs. Powder paint and paint each and every jig. Hand paint the eyes. and only 1 person HAND ties each and every jig which is my self. All the hair comes from North Carolina Deer which is killed harvested cleaned and cured by either my self friends of mine or clients. I tie up each bucktail the same i try to use the same ammount of thread on each one because i dont wanna effect the balance so much i want them to all fish the same. THEY LOOK LIKE ANY OTHER! Yes all bucktails look the same at first glance. But the real difference is when you buy big box store bucktails is they have EXTREMELY TOO much hair and not to mention the hair is WAY TOO LONG. I use a third of the hair they use cause less hair gives a better action....So now your thinking well i will just trim some of the hair off and make it shorter.....You can do that but it will take all the action away from the puffing effect that is suppose to happen when fishing a bucktail...Thats because deer hair is hollow and air is trapped inside and gives it that action. I tip them with everything even mullet minnows which is deadly. I only fish Topwater and Bucktails mostly bucktails.....Trigger22 got somet from me this past year he could prob give some insight on my bucktails he got some for striper fishing and i think he liked them!

·
Registered
118 Posts
How long do you usually fish a dock before deciding to move on the the next?
Man this is a tuff question to anwser honestly! It depends are you going for a doormat and fishing a dock that you know has held some big fish. Can you sit there for a couple of hours waiting on that 1 strike. When we tournament fish we will sit on a spot that has had big fish caught off of it for a couple of hours and then move on. Now if im just wanting to catch some fish i stay in a spot 15-20 mins work it over good then move on

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sbritt23 have you seen John Skinners flounder fishing videos on youtube and what do you think of the Tandem bucktail rig he uses for flounder? He is mostly fishing ledges in the sound instead of docks but it would probably work well both places.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sbritt23 have you seen John Skinners flounder fishing videos on youtube and what do you think of the Tandem bucktail rig he uses for flounder? He is mostly fishing ledges in the sound instead of docks but it would probably work well both places.
Yeah man I sure have I've watched ever video he is ever posted read his book and joined another forum just so I could ask him a few questions I took what capt. Jimmy price taught about bucktailing and added some of skinner stuff and we'll I've got it down pretty good I'll even bucktail in snows cut and I'm successful in there and don't loose a whole lot of bucktails. The tadem rig has its time and place and they have been proven to be deadly on flounder with that being said I don't cast them especially when fishing docks it's one more thing to fix when you break it off now when scouting places I will use them I'll drift a bank with them with the trolling motor down and vertical jig it and locate where schools of flounder will be they are also deadly drifting inlets. Where are you located rooster

1 - 20 of 34 Posts