NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, can anybody tell me a good rod/reel combo, that doesn't cost 200 bucks? I need something that can be used saltwater and fresh, well, I need a couple new rods. My saltwater ones are OLD, been nursing them along for years, and I have cross contaminated my freshwater ones....in salt...NOT a good idea. Their days are # for sure.

Anyway, I guess its time to just upgrade to a decent saltwater....in the Penn echelon. Not that I have a ton of cash to put into gear right now......

These need to be good inshore, kayak fishing for Reds/Flounder...type rod/reel combo's. I feel like an idiot asking, since I have been fishing forever, but its been a long time since I bought a decent rod and real that wasn't intended for the surf or crappy fishing.

What do you guys use?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Penn Silverado and the Shakespere Tidewater are 2 I'm looking at right now for under $50 Cabelas.com has a good list of Saltwater reels on their website with info and user reviews. I also am curious about the Okuma reels. A good 7' med action rod with a light tip makes a good all around rod for fresh and salt. Good for specs,flounder with enough backbone for Reds when you need it.

I guess i should ask if you want spinning or baitcaster....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking at spinning, baitcasters get on my nerves...LOL. I actually have one, that works well, its just fresh. I have heard decent reports on the Okuma's for the money...I guess I am a Penn fan. My grandfather left me two old Penn trolling/pier type rod/reels. Those things are 60 years old and still work....of course they arent seeing much action anymore....I will check out that Silverado. thanks

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
check out the reviews section here. I see some good reviews.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I have put a shimano fx-4000 thru some hard fishing and sold it for $10. No problems and still looking and working good. I used to use a fx-1000 for catching king mackeral bait and spanish etc. These retail for $15.00. thats the best deal for your money. Shimano also makes A Sahara 4000. It has everything you need and has a good rep. I have one but haven't used it enough for a personal reccomendation other than familiarity with many of their other probucts. Penn used to make some bullet proof reels but I've seen too many that had issues right out of the box since they started having them built in china. Diawa makes some good spinning reels but stay away from the cheaper ones. Personally I'd go with the FX-4000 and spend the money on a good sensitive rod If I were having to pay retail and needed to keep cost down. I mean so what if you dunk a $70 rod And a $15 reel. It won't hurt the rod and the reel is tough but even if you do mess it up you are only out $15. You could buy another and have a spare spool full of line ready to go.:)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Okuma AV or the Okuma Stratus's might be ones to consider...
I have both and have been very happy with them and they wont cost you an arm and a leg..

I use the AV-80's on Penn Slammer 7 ft med/heavy rods for light trolling and medium bottom fishin. 330 yards of 20 lb is the capacity.. and same thing for the Stratus's, but I put them on 10 ft surf rods and use them for trolling feathers, ballyhoo's and cedar plugs. Same capacity as the AV's.

There's different sizes in the AV and Stratus lines, from 8 lb test up to 20-25 lb test.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Falcon rods makes one of the better rods for the money for Inshore kayaking. Model # SS76L Light Gulf Caster. I think the specs are 1/4-5/8 oz & 8-15lb line, 8 guides+top and 7' 6" long with a 9 inch handle. That on any shimano 4000 will handle throwing 1/4 oz jigs up to mirro-lures Price is around $90. You might want to check Shimano's Compre rods out or if you see one long enough a Clarus. I'm pretty sure they are a little less expensive and may be more to your liking anyway. I have a shimano spheros 4000 on a medium gulf caster w/power pro 20# braid It's just a smidgen much for 1/4oz jigs but will throw mirro lures and live pinfish better. There isn't a do every thing rod that will do everything well so you will have to consider how you want to fish.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I like the Penn Pursuit line of spinning rods. Around $40 and they are a good graphite rod that seems to hold up well for the $

Reactions: moseyak

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I think if you really want to get out cheap say around $30-$40, you can't beat the Shakespeare combos and just about everyone stocks them. If you don't mind spending just a little more you can get a really nice Okuma Sentra combo at Dick's for $69. The Okuma I am talking about is a nice 8' graphite rod with cork grips and the reels are very smooth.

Oh yeah, the Tidewaters that sundrop mentioned can't be beat for the money as far as conventional setups go. I purchased another one at BPS a couple of weeks ago for $41.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Oh yeah again, If you are ever down in Wilmington go over to Tex's Tackle just off of Business 17 on Eastwood. I bought two Sea Striker surf rods ridiculaously cheap there last week. They are graphite composite but great rods to bang around in the rod holders riding up and down the beach and fight'n fish. I bought an 8' for $16.95 and a 9' for $18.95. Cannot beat those prices on a good rod anywhere!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
If you are looking for a combo for use in salt and fresh water - I'd go with a SW rod and either a SW reel or a very good freshwater one (Like a Shimano Stradic or Sedona). Salt water is tough on gear. No matter what you get, make sure you wash it off after each use and keep it well lubricated.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
No matter what you get, make sure you wash it off after each use and keep it well lubricated.
What Topsail said is definitely the key. Always and I mean always spray them off thoroughly with fresh water after using. Not only spray the reel down hard but also the rod, especially the reel seat and guides. Even though my Shakespeare reels are cheap I have never had a problem with them in saltwater. They are sealed very well. The other brand that I have a lot of are the Silstar CT series reel. Best spinning reel for the money ever manufactured IMHO. Unfortunately they are no longer made. You can get them from Mike Stanley at the Bogue Inlet Pier in Emerald Isle. He still has some CT 60's and 80's. I have 50's, 60's and 70's. Apparently Mike bought out an entire lot from a warehouse or someone that was going out of business. The 80's are just too darn big for me. I do have a newer Silstar Limit Series 80 that I use for light lining.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info/advice everybody! That was very helpful, I have some models to target, which is what I was looking for, I was getting a bit overwhelmed with all the choices...and tempted by some ebay.."deals"...:)

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
seven foot Allstar medium action ($70) Dicks carry's a large selection of models, Penn 103cs. That is the silver spinning reel. They have been retired, but you can still find them around. I buy them at yard sales, and then send them to Penn to be repaired. You get a top notch classic reel, for a very reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I got a lot of advice as a kayak fisherman to go with the higher quality reels for salt, because gear is so much more likely to be dunked & splashed. That meant go with the $100 reel instead of the $50 reel. When you get down into the sub-$20 range, your working with a different economic equation - you can afford to replace it 5 or 6 times and still come out ahead. Probably depends a lot more on care & maintenance and usage.

I spent a little more than I wanted and got the Penn 440 ssg ($90) and a St Croix Triumph rod ($69). I got them at Gander mtn and had also bought a cheaper house brand rod, for which they give a 10% combo discount with the Penn reel - that was a plus. I've heard repeatedly that the new Penn stuff isn't in the same class as the older models, but mine hasn't given me any problems. As little as I go to the salt, and as dry as I've been able to keep it, I wouldn't have expected any on any reel.

I did have one bad experience with a bass pro freshwater spinning reel that I took to the beach one time. Got dunked, not rinsed out well enough and it siezed up completely while we were still at the coast. I disassembled and cleaned it out but was unable to ever get it to work right again.

The reel that I saw get the most recommendations was the Shimano Baitrunner, but its $120-150 for the reel only.

I'm curious about the Okuma's too - they're really pretty and have a good price for the features.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.