NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When does the trout fishing become more reliable, I am guessing around Oct when delayed harvest opens back up? I have a friend that is wanting me to teach him to fly fish. As I consider myself a novice fly fisherman I am little nervous about ruining his 1st experience on the water. Anyone have any helpful advice on where and when here in NC.

Thanks Hogg

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Hogg-I'm sure that you'll want to take your friend Trout fishing. If I could make a couple of suggestions, why not start him off on some bream. He's sure to get plenty of action and casting practice in at the same time.

Also, consider one of the Fly Fishing Clinics at the John E Pechamnn Fishing Education Center after the first of the year. There's some basic instruction and a couple of ponds are stocked with Trout to keep the interest alive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As hard as it to believe. I don't know of any place to take him where we would be sure to find bream. I miss fishing small farm ponds. There hard to find here in the city. I might htake a look at the Uwharie river this weekend.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey Hogg,
Sharing Fly-Fishing with a friend is always a great thing. So what if you are a "novice." Tell him, let him know that you are willing to share what you know with him, but that you are looking forward to learning more too. You two just get together, look for casting seminars or clinics, for fly shops and outfitters, other fly fishermen (they often hang out around the shops), and spend time together on the water. Like Crummy said, look for delayed harvest waters, stocked streams, and this year just water cause of the drought. Low water levels, less oxygen, hot water temps drive trout down in shaded pools with very little activity. Best fishing is at night this time of year. The best time for success is Nov-Mar. Colder temps, higher water, and ...,
less fishermen stomping the creeks and banks. You could plan to go over to Tenn. They always have water. Holston, Watauga, and Little River and any of their feeder creeks. Good Luck!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hogg-I'm sure that you'll want to take your friend Trout fishing. If I could make a couple of suggestions, why not start him off on some bream. He's sure to get plenty of action and casting practice in at the same time.

Also, consider one of the Fly Fishing Clinics at the John E Pechamnn Fishing Education Center after the first of the year. There's some basic instruction and a couple of ponds are stocked with Trout to keep the interest alive.
What Backlash said makes a lot of sense. Bream are fairly easy to catch. Last thing you want is to go fishing and not catch a thing the first time out because that may be the last time out if there is not some sort of gratification, ie a live fish on the end of the line.

Take your friend out on the lawn and do some casting practice. Getting that casting rhythm down is important.

I checked last week and we are having our fly fishing clinics again this coming Jan - Feb at the JEPFEC in Fayetteville. Cost is only $5 and we even furnish the gear plus coffee and doughnuts. Great way to learn the basics and even catch a few trout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.