NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advise on how to keep deer from eating my garden. Never had a problem until my dog died a couple of years ago, and don't want another dog. I've been told such things as hair, old splice, and ivory soap. Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and had any other suggestions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Anyone who lives in an area with a healthy deer population has probably had this problem. You can use all kinds of deterrents but from what I've seen they'll eventually get accustomed to whatever tactic you use and keep coming back (unless you shoot them). Some folks even go as far as to run an electric line/fence around it at effective heights. Something similar happened to me with rabbits. I would only occasionally see them when my dog was still alive and kicking. After he passed away the rabbits are all over the place. If you're serious enough about it you may want to try and contact the wildlife folks and inquire about a depredation permit (shoot them). Not sure about the stipulations there though.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You MUST put up a fence for deer and rabbits or you are just feeding them.....Been there done that

Reactions: dbeam and satguy

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
A buddy of mine peed in jars and put them around his garden. I dont know if it worked but it seems like it would.
I know guys who urinate all around their deer stands and the deer walk right through it. I don't do this because it seems like it would spook the deer. Different strokes....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Deer do not associate danger with human urine.. I've practically peed on them from the stand.. Look up a "Scarecrow" it's a motion sensored sprinkler. They really dont' like the sound and direct spray it puts out. Worked great on a coworkers Hasta.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I used to do alot of garden when my wife was living and I live in deer country.
Several years before I stopped gardening I started planting purple hull crowder peas. I had less deer traffic and they wouldn't touch a purple hull pea plant for some reason. I had a lot of pass through tracks and very little eating of anything.

You don't stand a chance with Dixie Lee peas unless you sit on that garden night and day.

Something else that does work for crows and may work on the deer as well. Kill a crow and hang him by his feet from a pole beside the garden. Just leave him there. Deer may shy from the smell of the carcass.

Radios in the garden will work for a time. As someone said they get used to whatever you do.
You could change up on different things to prevent that though.

G

·
I have had pretty good luck with the different sprays like deer off and others... you can make your own also. That with your sprinkler should work. Try to stay up late a few times and early mornings to scare them off. A bb/pellet gun sting to the rear helps alot also. And since you have now a vested interest, harvest a doe or two.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last night they ate 50' of a 60' row of running string beans, and about half of the butterbeans. Don't think I will replant it. Still got potatoes, tomatoes, onions, 3 different kinds of peppers ,squash, and cucumbers. Don't know if they eat that stuff or not.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
yuo could always give me permission to hunt them this winter haha... a fence will detour them for the most part. moth balls around the outside perimeter seem to help.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Last night they ate 50' of a 60' row of running string beans, and about half of the butterbeans. Don't think I will replant it. Still got potatoes, tomatoes, onions, 3 different kinds of peppers ,squash, and cucumbers. Don't know if they eat that stuff or not.
They will eat that stuff too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used lion pee from predatorpee.com to keep them off my flower garden but it turned out to be a waste of money. We use this to keep deer out of the cemetery at church. Seems to work

-James Peavy-

1 - 20 of 30 Posts