NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a boat capable of going out into the ocean. I got a 23' robalo center console with a 225 Johnson ocean pro on the back. I'm planning on taking it to wrightsville next weekend. Since this is the first time taking it out into the ocean (I've ran it in the lake a few times just to get a feel for it) is there anything I should know about the inlet at wrightsville? A few other questions
1. I have some gps cords for the artificial reefs and a few other spots I'm mainly gonna be bottom fishing but may troll a bit while looking around. Is there anything specific I should look for while looking for these reefs? Or look for that hold dolphin?
2. Is anyone planning on being out that way next weekend? I'll prolly be out Friday and sat would be bad to have someone around just incase we run into trouble

3. any other advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would say be sure to check the weather before you venture offshore and make sure you have all the recommended/required Coast Guard vessel safety equipment. Also, a BoatUS membership is good to have...priceless when you need a tow. Finally, since it's your first time out, tell a family member or friend where you intended to go and when you intended to return ( I.E a float plan). That way, if something should happen, the coast guard knows where to start looking. With regards to fishing, most seem to prefer to troll pirate plugs for kings around bottom structure. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Judging by the level of boating expertise exhibited in the opening thread, it sounds as if a Power Squadron/Coast Guard boating course is in order here. Understanding the basic rules and preparations for safe inshore fishing is essential before venturing out of sight of land. I guarantee you can't walk back from 15 miles out if the boat goes away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also learning ocean boating. For now I stay close to the beach - last weekend I went out and found AR315. Good fun, but I am short on knowledge of proper radio communication. I wouldn't know how to call in a distress and location. If my GPS went down, I'd have no idea how to describe accurately my position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replys guys! I plan on having every possible contingency plan. I have a ship to shore radio,cell phone, looking at buying a hand held radio as well, charts, and 2 compasses one is already mounted on the boat. I know how to read a chart/grid learned back when I was in ROTC and haven't forgotten either. I have all recommended and required coast guard items. I'm not new to boating at all just off shore I've fished in the cheasapeke bay for years and many other bays.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.