NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! We have been planning our escape to NC for over 20 years, and it is finally coming true. I have been visiting over the last few months, looking in different areas to live.
We have been searching between the oak island/Cape fear basin out to hampstead, sneads ferry, swansboro, cape carteret, out to morehead city.
So many great looking areas. So much fishy waters, Bogue sound, White Oak river, the inlets on Topsail Island, etc.

Im not looking for spots, rather areas.
What are some of your favorite areas to fish and why? What are areas you dont like to fish and why.
Are they all similar in quyality?
Is fishing around Oak Island/ Bald head island better than Beaufort / Shacleford banks area VS the Topsail Island ICW areas?
This is in major regard to Speckled trout, Redfish, Flounder.
Minor in Sea Mullet, Albacore, Stripers, Bluefish.
Thanks guys. Sort of like fantasy fishing. where would you move and why?
Thanks again
Grouse

Registered
It all depends on what you can afford. How close you want to be near the water.
All fishing areas you mentioned are accessible if you trailer your boat.
You do have a boat? Sent picture of boat......馃槉... old joke, sorry couldn't resist.
Hope this helps .......ICM

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the replies.
We can be at any of the locations. As long as I鈥檓 30-40 minutes to ramps and beaches.
I felt from my trips that Beaufort morehead city has ALOT of places to explore. And yes I used to duck hunt. Still have all my dekes.
I sold the boat years ago as there wasn鈥檛 enough time (and money) to maintain it while having kids.
I do have my yaks and canoes.
this will be a new chapter for us, growing more of our own food, raising meat birds, etc.
Someone mentioned compass point to me.
Very pretty homes, but not for us. I need land and space in between neighbors.
ive seen Some good homes up on Richlands, maysville, and Burgaw.
Of course I鈥檇 like to be closer to the coast, but it鈥檚 hard to find a home with acreage that doesn鈥檛 have covenants against farm animals.
Thanks again and keep them coming.

Registered
Brunswick county (near Wilmington) has some rural areas that may have some possibilities for a homestead type place where you can have livestock. A lot of eastern NC is agricultural so finding somewhere relatively close to the coast is a good possibility

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends on inshore or offshore desires. Where are you from and what did you previously fish for?
Inshore mostly. Mostly Trout, reds, flounder.
Side fun with Sheepshead, sea mullet, maybe stripers and blues.
I grew up fishing for tautog, fluke(flounder), striped bass, weakfish, blue fish.
I fell in love with fly fishing for stripers. Early mornings on these northeast 鈥渇lats鈥 the stripers would be tailing their way through the shallows grubbing around for worms and grass shrimp. So much fun sight casting for them, and every September was albacore time inshore.
I forgot! We would get a short run of Spanish Mackerel in august and early sept on eastern Long Island.
I would head out early and we would look for the mackerel leaping out of the water like missiles. Then we would move in and start casting for them.

Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
Consider something on the Pamlico river. If you're far enough downriver there's plenty of land, lots are relatively cheap ($15-25k for 1-2 acres) and you can hit all the major inland species and then some (everything from reds, spanish, blues and stripers).

The one thing you need to consider is elevation. Hurricane storm surges and massive accumulations of rain can turn the prettiest waterfront lot into a grass flat with 2-10 ft of water ove rwashing it. The first thing I'd want to see in any location I'm considering is elevation. For the record, I'm considering a move myself down to the Bath, Belhaven area but as I said, it's all about elevation and I'm being very selective in the areas I'm considering.

Registered
Holden鈥檚 Beach, Southport, Bath, Cedar Island are good options. Best of luck.
Pamlico river hands down. Just bought a place last year near Oriental. Trout 鉁 Drum 鉁 sheepshead 鉁 stripers 鉁 blues 鉁 shrimp 鉁, crabs 鉁 ducks 鉁 deer 鉁 bear 鉁 turkey 鉁. Honestly the best decision I ever made. Payed 180k for 3 bedroom with dock, 2 slips with lift. Not my primary home yet but I make enough off rentals (duck hunters and fisherman) to nearly pay the mortgage. I only have an acre but I have seen plenty of larger tracts. One drawback is you'd have to trailer to blue water or burn a ton of gas. Another drawback, if you see it that way,is the isolation. It's QUIET.

Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
Pamlico river hands down. Just bought a place last year near Oriental. Trout 鉁 Drum 鉁 sheepshead 鉁 stripers 鉁 blues 鉁 shrimp 鉁, crabs 鉁 ducks 鉁 deer 鉁 bear 鉁 turkey 鉁. Honestly the best decision I ever made. Payed 180k for 3 bedroom with dock, 2 slips with lift. Not my primary home yet but I make enough off rentals (duck hunters and fisherman) to nearly pay the mortgage. I only have an acre but I have seen plenty of larger tracts. One drawback is you'd have to trailer to blue water or burn a ton of gas. Another drawback, if you see it that way,is the isolation. It's QUIET.
Hey Guy, what's your lot elevation over there? I'm curious and looking and that price point is about half of what I was hoping for so you have my interest! Can you DM me so we can discuss?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Guy, what's your lot elevation over there? I'm curious and looking and that price point is about half of what I was hoping for so you have my interest! Can you DM me so we can discuss?
318 Winchester Way, Merritt, NC 28556
It sold recently, but was on the market for a loooong time.
Beautiful country out there

Registered
Your place will be on pilings most likely if you are waterfront in that area.
Pretty much everything is raised out there even not water front. There is no lunar tide though. All wind driven. According to my neighbors the highest it's gotten there is about 3 feet. above ground level. To put it in perspective there is rice farming going on there.

Registered
You may want to check out Newport. Not far from morehead at all and there is lots for sell there.
x2!
I'm just a snow bird from Ohio, Erie,,,, & when I seen this answer I smiled.
I say, Newport to White Oak. Out to the turkey farms.
You got the New, White Oak, & the Neuse. No need to go anywhere else,,, specially if you Yak.
I also have friends that live farther N, closer to the 'hills'
Like me, they love to hunt, deer, bear & pig, so that's also an equation, a toss-up.

I use to rent a house on the New that sleeps 16, & the whole gang fell apart. I can't even find a capable friend who wants to go down for a week or two,,, to kick-back & fish.
I wanted to buy property in & around that area so bad, I could taste it.

Stay high, watch out for hurricanes & floods.
& if you would like a hard working helper,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ?

GOOD LUCK to ya. ;>)

Oh Ya,,,, I would't be happy with less than 10 acres.

Real Estate & Homes For Sale - 61 Homes For Sale | Zillow

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hahaha thanks Doboy! You have real enthusiasm toward the area.
my realtor wants to show me a place out in Watha. Looks pretty and all, BUT I would be driving an hour to fish those places.
seems that right now good acreage is hard to come by.Hopefully by late spring we will either have found our house or lot to build on.

Registered
Looks like I am in the same situation as you, Grouse. My wife and I are thinking about relocating to the region in a few years. My father is retiring and looking to buy a large piece of acreage around Oriental or one of the many other small towns in that region. I work in medicine in NE Montana currently and am from SW Florida originally. Grew up saltwater fishing every day I could get out and want to return to my passion. Came to look very hard at Eastern NC by the New, Neuse, and Pamlico rivers after much research on the various areas we want to relocate to. Florida is so congested anymore, although I love the state dearly. Too many people. We want space like you do. Taking our first trip out there in April and more to follow to put boots on the ground and see/explore the area firsthand. All the research we've done tells us its our #1 contender right now though. The book "The Old Man and The Boy" was a nice inspiration also for those who know...although they were a little further down the coast...too busy in their neck of the woods nowadays I would expect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts