NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Lowe 170 Commander with a Evinrude 40 VRO. This rig is older but has performed great for our limited time on the lake but a month or so ago reverse went out.There are absolutely no other problems. I have pulled the cover off to see if the linkage is moving and it is. Don't know what else to do/try any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for any help
Preacher Jon

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
if your gears go out that mostly means the tranny lever is worn. you may need to get it replaced..the levers that go in and out of gear on a older omc moters have lil or no adjustment..

i notice you did refrain from adding the year of the motor..this might have helped.. unless the motor is a vintage omc. most decent mechic's should be able replace it fairly easily..

i have a 71 rude 50 horse they can get parts but most every one has to order them..

zooker

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Usually tranny problems are deeper in then most guys want to go without a pretty solid mechanical ability. As Zooker said, not much to adjust but at least parts are readily available for any old "Rude". If your handy and mechanical I suggest you buy a good service manual. Not one of those Haynes/Clymer manuals but a good factory service manual. (I buy mine on ebay). Otherwise you'll need to take it to a shop. What area of NC are you in??

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Merritt Marine in Hillsborough usually has largest inventory of old parts than anyone in area. I would suggest contacting them.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm assuming the is tiller controlled? If not, it may be cable stretch. You'll have to disconnect the cable and try to engage it by hand while someone else is driving or strapped on the trailer in the water at the ramp. be careful of the flywheel spinning and don't have an absent minded moment and try to brace yourself on the engine..that flywheel will rip ya up good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.