NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the heart of busy vacation season, we want to make a family day trip to the coast.

Trying to come up with a compromise between kayak fishing and beach-play, with decent parking and water access for me, and decent beach with restroom/cleanup facilities for the ladies in my party (access to a restaurant wouldn't hurt - I'm not exactly leading a full squad of rugged-outdoors-women here). I'm not averse to dropping them off beachside and parking somewhere else within a mile or so paddle/walk to the car.

Shooting for tomorrow, leaving from Raleigh. The earliest we're likely to reach any coastal spot is 10am.

Wrightsville is the one I'm most familiar with, but I figure its too busy this week to arrive that late and count on finding a parking spot. Just not familiar enough with the rest of the coastal beaches.

Anybody got a recommendation?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hammocks Beach St. Park, maybe? I don't know what they've got for facilities on the island -- last time I was out there, which was more than one hurricane ago, I think there was a bathhouse on the island, but that's about it. Lunch would be ashore. There's a ferry for those who are not self-propelled. Since ya gotta take a boat (and pay for the ride) the crowd is usually a step smaller than other places nearby.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
North Topsail Beach Take 210 from the Sneads Ferry area over the high rise bridge from the top of the high rise you will see the Town Hall turn left just past the town hall onto New River Inlet Rd. Go app. 1 mile there isa large County owned beach access with parking bathrooms and a concession stand that sells chips, ice cream drink and hot dogs. Across the road is a City owned park with tennis courts bathrooms and a small sound side pier you can put in a kayak there or back up under the high rise

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Tell them to keep their eyes peeled. I found a perfect diamond ballas crystal up near New River Inlet many years ago. I didn't know what it was and after about 5 minutes of puzzling over it I threw it back to King Neptune to grow up. It was only about as big around as a nickle then so no telling how big it is now..... Just about every time I've been on the island I've had to go back there and see if it washed back up.:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We wound up at Wrightsville by default - shortest drive, most civilized facilities. Surprised to find plenty of parking in 2nd lot (free) in front of Johnny Mercer's Pier at 11:30, as well as up & down the nearby side streets. Girls had a blast, I got the new yak wet.

Will post some observations in a report (no fish tho:()

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.