NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fished most of my life and live doing it but I am BRAND NEW to fishing in NC for bass and catfish. I am used to fishing for trout, not bass or catfish. I have tried a few spots but didn't have any luck. I have fished around ft Bragg and even down at Locke and Dam 3. I have caught a couple really small cat fish. Can anyone give me some advice on how to fish for some bigger catfish and bass. I am open to any suggestions please I don't have a boat so I will be fishing from the shore.
Thanks
steve

·
Registered
268 Posts
catfish: Try chicken livers wrapped in some pantyhose. Put the liver into a swatch of pantyhose and make a ball about the size of a marble or slightly larger. Wrap the hose closed with some sewing thread. Use a circle hook, maybe a 1/0 (more of less). Rig with a slip sinker and swivel and a 12" fluorocarbon leader at least 15 lb. I try to find a hole with firm bottom.

Bass: I like a suspending rapala stick bait, about 5". My favorite is a minnow color or ghost. In calm morning water I like surface plugs like a popper. 3 - 4".

LIve bait like minnows under a slip float is also an excellent choice for both types of fish.

I used to fish some of the lakes on the Bragg drop zones. I don't know if they still allow that. That was in 1967-8. Check that out, maybe they're still open.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For big catfish.... Don't be afraid to use live bait as big as your hand or even bigger. I've personally used bream in the 7"-8" range fishing for monster flatheads. I have the best luck for big cats at dusk. Good luck..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.