NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening/afternoon anglers. I haven't been on in a very long time due to the fact that I'm currently deployed to Italy. My first sergeant asked me of something today that I'm not very familiar with but I feel all of you will be better at assisting him.

So here is his predicament.

So on his boat, he has an AC unit that is currently drawing too much power. It pulls at most, 14A when using the AC/Heater. It produces roughly 18,500 BTUs on heat and 16,500 BTUs on AC. He's currently looking at an alternative to power the AC with the least amount of fuel consumption or whatever you all have to offer. Hopefully someone will be able to help my cause.

Sincerely,
Jason.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I fit is 120v/115v he is using roughly 1680 watts of power to run. It will require more to start up the compressor motor in the unit. A 2000-2500 watt generator should handle it. I am actually picking one up today that needs fuel repair. Once it is running it will be for sale but I cant price it until I know what I have. ON his boat what fuel is he using now for power? Gas, Gas/oil mix or diesel? Makes it easier if you can match your fuel onboard.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I have a Generac (actually two of them) that I use for power outages from storms and such for the house, and they are good but quite loud.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Honda is the best out there. Generac is good for the money but when they fail they typically blow a board or winding that cannot be replaced and they are then junk. If you are going to go cheap go with a model from Harbor Freight. They actually make one now that is a seriously close copy to the Honda in style design and sound. http://www.harborfreight.com/http-w...c-portable-inverter-generator-61169-html.html
Get the extended warranty and after a lot of use, and before the warranty runs out, replace it once. If you keep it clean, relatively dry and serviced it will last well for the money spent.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Who makes the engines HF uses? Cant quite place em.

Honda is the best out there. Generac is good for the money but when they fail they typically blow a board or winding that cannot be replaced and they are then junk. If you are going to go cheap go with a model from Harbor Freight. They actually make one now that is a seriously close copy to the Honda in style design and sound. http://www.harborfreight.com/http-w...c-portable-inverter-generator-61169-html.html
Get the extended warranty and after a lot of use, and before the warranty runs out, replace it once. If you keep it clean, relatively dry and serviced it will last well for the money spent.

Reactions: SnowCamp

·
Registered
660 Posts
Start up compressor amps could be a problem with a low wattage generator, so be sure to find out about that before a generator is bought.
I'd borrow or rent an identical generator before buying. Starting current can easily be ten times run current. I had to rewire my compressor for 230 V in order to run it off a 6500 W generator. Friend had to do the same for a well pump. In both cases, the starting current at 115v choked down the generator though the run current was well within specs. (When you double the voltage, you halve the current)

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Generac is another good choice.
Great choice for home.
Generac is one of the brands I have a factory certification from.

As far as generator needs, I would figure the largest thing it has to start up and run and maybe 15% more.
Biggest mistake most people make is trying to power everything or figuring genset size based on everything running which is not practical. Most people would be more happy running the basics especially when you figure in maintenance and fuel cost. Generating power is way way more expensive than buying it.

An example....a 10,000KW miller Bobcat welder is more than adequate for my 2,000 square foot house. I could get by with probably half that with little inconvenience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.