NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on fishing the Neuse just east of Raleigh on Sunday. I am looking at this river flow stuff and I really have no idea what I am looking at.

http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/neu_05.htm

Well, I do know what it says. How do I use the info to determine the water level and fishability? Also, what's a good flow rate for fishing? And all that good stuff.

Help me Mr Wizard.

mikeski

·
Registered
418 Posts
I like using the USGS site the best:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/current/?type=flow

Scroll down to find the gauge closest to where you are putting in. Click the link for your spot and you can view charts, averages and all that good stuff.

After that, I guess I would just avoid any real high water if you're just getting used to getting on the water. Maybe someone with experience on the Neuse can chime in with a flow rate they prefer, but I'd say just go out and make note of what the CFS was each time you go. Soon enough you'll know the conditions you prefer.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a little fishing and a little surfing. I found that the gauge height is from some select point. The numbers from the gauge today shows 1.7' over that. I know now that lower will expose even more rocks. Might even require a drag over one spot.

Mikeski

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
i never look at gauge height. Only cfm and if on a not familiar with river , like someone said look at avg flow. I know you know but avg flow in Jan is higher than avg flow in July so on some river the "average" may not be floatable. What i have done is too log my rivers with the "best" flow numbers and also what I consider too low or too high.

ex would be The haw River at the haw river gauge. I like it anywhere from 100 to 300 and prefer it less than 300, but 600 is ok at bynum and 300 is low. 30 miles make a lot of difference.

also 1 river we float we prefer it around 4000 cfm so the river makes a lot of difference too.

Reactions: froggy waters

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
As far as fishability goes, look at the history. Any upstream rainstorm will show a spike in level/flow. For most Piedmont flows, ~4 days of no rain plus a flow at or below avg is a good bet.

If you ever get to the river and find it swift, muddy, and carrying floating sticks and debris ... don't waste your time.

Good luck!

-Jeff

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Also a cfs change on a guage that is reoccurring represents an upstream mechanical device. Dam .treatment plant . Hot hole , some sort of discharge . Alot of rivers or streams. That have these . The fish feed on rising or increase flows . The current causes an association to structure or patterns far more helpful to study long term patterns of rivers and contributing factors. I like rising or increased cfs . Dropping or slowing rivers . Typically slow down the fish . Fish in rivers relate more to current change Than. Barometric Pressure . Which also effects them . I use the river flows app. On cfs setting and use guage ft on rivers I don't know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.