NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I need a little help with fishing with jigs. I have caught a 7# bass on a jig but really did not even feel it to much. Luck I guess. I have caught a few but nothing like others I have talked to. I put different trailers on them and have many different colors and sizes. I have been told to just watch the line but sometimes it is a little windy. Any help would be great. You all have been so awesome with any tip I have ever needed to know! Good Luck out there!:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
im still learning new things about jigs. really started using them 2 yrs ago. key thing match the hatch. what are the fish eating and try to use similar colors. many styles of heads to for different types of cover. ive even been tying my own hair jigs and they do pretty good. theres a ton of articiles out there in cyber space. you got to watch your line closley. i couldnt tell you how many times ive never felt a bump just saw the line moving. good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really only fish lakes and use anything from 10 to 15# mono. Fluroclear to be exact. I have many kind of jigs and many colors. I have 3/8oz. to a 1/2 oz. FOotball jigheads . i have quite a few! The tackle monkey has gone a little crazy from time to time. any help would be great

·
Registered
35 Posts
I Fish Bass Jigs Alot And Only When Im Flippin Them ,very Little Line Out , Most Fish I Catch Are As The Jig Is Fallin And It Doesnt Hit The Bottom , Its An Art Kinda, An Im Not A Pro But The Less Line You Have Out The Better Control An Feel ,they Bite On The Fall Of The Jig , If You Think It Dont Feel Like The Cast Before Jerk, Great Way To Catch Larger Bass , Flip Alot An Cover Alot Of Water

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
I would like to recomend braid "Power Pro" this will add more sensitivity to your outfit. Tie straight to the line no need for any thing else.

Just think about the big old mouth with a vaccum, it sucks up the jig and then just swims off with it. No bumbs, no messing , just easy like bites.

You definately have to be a line watcher fishing with any type jig, carolina rig, texas rig just to see the nibbles. A lot of times the only way to tell is just a mushy feeling.

When in doubt, give it a jerk, those are freebies and don't cost any thing. Also might be the fish of a lifetime nawing on the other end.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
721 Posts
personally my line doesnt swim much, but im sure its because i hardly ever have my jig still, on the bottom. iknow thats how most fish them but i like having rattles and using them. most waters i fish are very muddy or stained so the extra sound and vibration from movement seems to help. ive had luck swimming a jig also, but stay away from the booyah swim jig, it planes too much for my taste.

aside: for buzzer, try a booyah in black. my fave. works well in similar waters i fish jigs i.e. shallow and muddy/stained.

tight lines. you will end up with a few blackfish with the jig also, dont sweat it. just dont lip em :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help. I plan on going out on Sunday afternoon even though the water will probably be a little muddy from all the rain we are supposed to get today and tomorrow.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The main thing I have learned in both the manufacturing and using jigs for the past twenty some years you have to be ready to loose a lot of them cause if you ain't fishing the where you would send your best hound dog you won't catch much.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Can't believe I missed this post for that past week. I'm never confident when I'm using jigs, but fish that I have caught on a jig were with a football style jig all flippin in a muddy/stained water into cover. But, here is one thing for you to try if you want or maybe you have used these before but I try to use these instead of jigs any day of the week. I suppose its just a confidence thing, the yum craw papi. Just rig it T-rig with a light bullet weight always have good luck with these flipping.

Yum Flavor-Enhanced Soft Baits - Craw Papi

BA1

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
i have had decent sucess with a jig in the last couple years. i tend to use small 1/4 oz jigs with full size trailers. i tend to throw the jig as a light hitter back up to the carolina rig.most of the fish i catch are in 8-15 feet of water.. my biggest on a jig is about 5 pounds...

zooker

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey Big,

Seems like you are doing just fine with your jigs. Anywhere from 1/2oz. on down are good . Just remember to match your line weight with the jig. In my 20 plus years of fishing the jig. They always work better when using a baitcaster. The line lays flater on the water.
Although I do you Power pro Braid on a spinner when I'm throwing
the lite ones.

See ya!

Shaw5001

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Lthneck03,

I dont feel its necessary to use a heavy action rod. In fact, both my jig rods are medium action. I use 15lb. flourcarbon on one and braid on the other. One for pitching and one for casting. With the new lines they have nowadays, You need a little forgivness with your rod . The main thing on jig fishing is you have to be a line watcher from the time it hits the water till your second or third jig movemnt. After that I just bring it in cause 95% of my strikes fall within that period. Just remember, if you see your line jump on the fall , SET THE HOOK!

See Ya

Shaw5001

·
Registered
168 Posts
The only reason that you might consider buying a medium heavy or heavy action rod for fishing a jig is to be able to get the fish out of heavy cover quickly. A medium action rod will suffice in most applications. The medium action rod will give you a better feel of what the jig is doing in the water and you will be able feel the subtle pick ups of a fish when he mouths the lure or when it slides across a object in the water.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.