NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a few rods I have acquired over the years from 6.5 to 7.6 ft and in various weights and actions and all have 3000 series reels. They range from xtra-fast to medium-light and I'm not sure I am using the right rod for the species or lure I am throwing. I throw mostly artificial lures from top water to jigs and trying to make sure I use the right setup for trout vs flounder and reds. Anyone got any tips for choosing the right setup for the application?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I'm a big fan of Shimano Teramar rods, own 8 from 8' to 6'6".
All with matching Penn Battle reels.

For throwing topwaters, MR, spoons & jig heads. Rod lengths 7' to 6'6".
I found that medium power with extra fast action will handle everything from Reds, Trout, Flounder & occasional Chopper Blue.
Matched with Battle 2000 spooled with 10# braid, 20# FC leader.

For topwaters & spoons, when you need more distance for spooky Reds.
Targeting a school of Reds; 7'4" ( weird right, why 4" ? ) med. power, med. fast action.
With Battle 3000 spooled with 15# braid, 20 FC leader.

For popping corks found that 6'6" medium heavy, fast action works best.
Also doubles as dock rod for Reds & bait fishing.
Battle 3000 spooled with 15# braid, 20#FC leader.

Been taking 3 rods, one 6'6" / 7' / 7'4" . Cover all bases.
Hope this helps. ...... ICM

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Use what feels good to you, make sure the rod has enough backbone to handle heavy lures if it is tied on. I use Med Lt for small lures/grubs/17MR, Med for heavier lures and Med Hvy for big topwater or heavier jigs to get deeper. Most my reels are 2500 and paired with 10 or 15 pound braid.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Most of my rods are 7ft med lt or med fast action. I use mostly 2500 and 3000 reels. I do have a couple of med hvy with 3000 and 4000 for deep cranking, big lures and soaking bait on bottom. I have a lot of other stuff too but this is what I use the most. I also have 2 1500 on 6.6 med lite fast rods with 8lb for finicky speckled trout and shad and they're my quick grab and go rods for plunking in freshwater too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.