NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to a Florida Keys real soon. going to book a guide for Tarpon and snook if they are biting(resort has guides and one is to call me back tomorrow) but here are my main questions.

1. how hard is it to take a rod and reel with me??? dont want to risk the airline losing it but i may take that chance.

2. can i take the reel in my regular luggage??

3 also if you could only take a handful of lures what would you take and what kinda rigs would you take???
quarry will be small fish from the bank of pier etc.....

4. the resort says they have free unlimited use of rods and reels but really how good can those be??? I will ask them tomorrow but i am not expecting much. if they are decent i will just take some lures and rigs.

my hope is just to catch some small tarpon and snook.....dont care how big....would be satisfied with 10 lb or less fish.............

any thoughts?????

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Grasshopper

I wish you would just ask.....................I just happen to have a cancellation from Flip Pallot that week ( watching me double haul the 9 weight gives him feelings of inferiority I guess ) and will be available once again to show you how to catch a fish.

There is no reason to risk the precious Zebco 404 saltwater gear on a bus ride with the Mrs. to Miami. Just use my gear as always and do as I say and she will catch fish...... you can be net man just like back home in NC

Last time I was in the Keys it was windy but I managed my limit although the fish were mostly fried or broiled and stuffed with crab meat or drove a Chrysler convertible Nat's not yet mom rented at the airport.:D

Just don't get your hopes up-----------this trip will end like most of your trips..............fishless and expensive but you will be ever so closer to snatching the pebble from my hand.

PS

Are we good for Saturday heading up? I might bring Nat. He enjoys watching you not catch anything and it provides comic relief between us hauling in the toad flats.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
you can mail a few rods in a PVC pipe, wrapped well so they don't shift around a lot inside to you place of lodging, pack your reels and gear. Ship the rods back. Would cost you around $40-50. Or as has been said carry good reels and buy cheap rods and if you really wanna be sneaky get them at walmart and return them saying you didn't care for them before you leave...

Reactions: Swampin'

·
Registered
525 Posts
I traveled to the Keys regularly on business (which happened to be fishing tackle!) and have fished it extensively. You have asked all the relevant questions. Hopefully this will help:
1. Not hard at all. A taped up pvc tube, a heavy cardboard roll from a roll of carpet, or one of the travel rod tubes made by Plano work perfectly. Check it at the ticket counter. You'll pick in up at the oversized or standard luggage carousel. It'll cost you about $50.
2. Yes. No problem.
3. Take quality circle hooks from size 1 thru 4/0, mono and fluorocarbon leader from 20-50#, black swivels. Buy your sinkers down there. If you are serious about catching fish, then live bait is the way to go. Gulp and jigheads simplify lure selection.
4. Check with the resort. Most have inexpensive combos for tourists, not fishermen.
I'm sending yo a PM with my name and number. Call me and I'll expand on these replies and give you some from-the-shore hotspots. I'm excited for you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Used to live and work and fish and dive and play in the Florida Keys!! We might need to talk over the phone for a hot minute for me to explain a few things... Big Pine Key and No Name Key are amazing, how far is your resort from those Islands? (they are connected) No Name Bridge is a great place to fish, off the beaten path and holds huge fish. Take everything fishing wise you can on the carry-on in the plane with you. Except knives and and all.. I usually put lure's, pliers, knives and assorted fishing gear in checked luggage and it fine, they will open it up, but it's always made there and back... Take stuff for bait fishing, mangrove snapper, yellow tail will be in and biting this time of year. (big cudas too) Tarpon will be between the bridges in the morning and evening. Most fish will be massive well over 100+ and will strip every bit of line off your reel before you can blink twice. Spearfishing will be good this time of year too if your a swimmer...:) We would jump in on inflow side of a bridge and get sucked thru shooting fish and catch the eddie on the outflow tidal side.. Mack call me up for sure if you need/want specific locations for fishing from Big Pine out to Key West, that's the thirty miles of the island chain that know the best... Good luck and have a blast!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.