NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
The guys that successfully catch trout fish hard in the same areas as often as possible. I do ok in familiar areas, but just OK because I don't get to go a lot. (not at all this last couple of years) so even that info is not worth much. as far as simple? well, apply what knowledge you have as far as how to find the bait. Points, drops, holes, structure. All can hold the fish. Time of year/water temp plays a huge part. I think when the seasons are in "flux" guys who don't go a lot or don't fish the same areas a lot are really at a disadvantage because they don't know how to "follow" the local fish. I see a lot of people keep recommending to hire a guide to learn more and I am seeing where this is actually very good advise.
Right now water temps are dropping fast and the fish are going to start stacking up in the back creeks in holes that can be very hard to get to in a lot of boats. You also have to get painfully slow in your presentation. I mean SLOW. Some days its more like bottom fishing than using a lure. You cast it out let it sink and just an occasional twitch, soak, twitch.. I think scented baits are important especially a those times. Pro cure is my choice. Don't be discouraged by fishing reports. Think about who you see posting and how much time they spend on the water, and how much they spend in a specific area, for what they catch.
Seems like I can find Reds just about in the same places, at the same time of year, but trout are finicky.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Great advice from sundrop. I am not so good at fishing areas I have never been to for specks. I do OK in areas I've fished for years. Like sundrop said, the backs of creeks will be the place for them in cold water. One of the best days I had was when no boats were at the ramp, and I did not see another boat on the water where I was fishing, to and from the ramp. Water temp was in the 40 deg range. I was fishing so slowly it was very boring. I could feel specks taking my lure with my carbon rod and braid line while the lure was sitting still.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It's been a day to day pattern this year. The constant weather changes has had things funny. Some days we have been you fish all day and catch them for a 45 min window. We have caught some of the nicest fish consistently this year is just been tough to get them to bite of they don't want to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't get to go to the coast often. I do fish quite often so I understand patterns. Just never had the oppuntity to fish trout in NC. This is helping me. Cause I use google earth and I can find hole in the creeks I greatly appreciate all the info.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Think using Google Earth is overrated. Here's why.
Been catching Trout in a spot that doesn't look that great on Google Earth.
No points, no rip, just a straight bank, nothing special.
Today after catching a few Trout I decide to use my sonar to figure out what was holding them there.
It was an underwater drop off. About a 4 ft. ledge where Trout waited out of the current for your offering.

Google Earth was never going to put me on those Trout.
"It doesn't matter what you look at. It's what you see ...... "
Deep thoughts ..... ICM View attachment 67779

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That's where electronics really come in handy. You can read the shoreline by eye but you never know what's under you without them.. When I scout I sit back and putt along reading everything I can. I like to do that in the heat of summer midday when the bite slows down I just cruise around and watch the finder. Breeze feels good on a hot day too. Sometimes my wife wants to go and she prefers to ride around rather than really fish so I entertain her while I gather "intel".

Reactions: hoodlum and RouseD
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.