NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dying for some salt and willing to fight a crowd to get it. I plan to leave about 3am in the morning and head for a pier with 1 rod for plugging, and 1 for Cobia bottom bait rig. I see they both now only allow 2 rods which doesn't make me very happy as I like to use 3 an additional rod for 2 hook rig (meat for the cooler fishing). I figure get there early and dig in on my spot, set up camp and hang on! Neither website does a good job of updating and phone calls generally lack "honesty" for the sake of income so I turn to you all for advice. I do see a Cobia was caught today on Bogue but it is also probably the busier of the 2 piers but faces in a different direction than Seaview also. I plan to leave early so need some quick opinions! Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bogue won't let you fish a live bait larger than 3 inches and they are jerks when it comes to their rules out there. You also can't throw a bucktail off the end. I avoid Bogue because of the experience I've had with the staff and I'm not the only one.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had forgotten Bogue had the whole end cut off from plugging and the overhead deck too so I am going to Seaview. I like that pier just haven't been in a couple of years.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up: went to Seaview. Was on deck by 5:30am. Spanish were scattered all morning amongst blues and grass shad and glass minnows were everywhere. Water was clearing up well and tide was low at 7am. All white Gotchas were the Spanish preference early morning then couldn't catch even a blue. Diamond jigs took over and fish were scarce after about 930am. I caught a few undersized Spanish but saw some 14-15 inch fish being caught. King rigs were plentiful but only one shark to show all day. Lots of juvenile fare spot mullet croakers sharks etc on and off all day. Water got dirty midday so looked like afternoon bite wasn't going to go very well. I packed it in about 6:45pm. I hooked something strong, that didn't head shake like a blue but didn't cruise like a ray or shark on a blade jig amongst a brief "run" of Spanish. Those around me said it might have been a big Spaniard or maybe even a Cobia the way it was fighting. (the kind of drag ripping fight that makes everyone stop fishing to watch) but it came unbuttoned before anyone could get a look. I was tossing the 1 oz blade jig on a 4000fj stradic with 30lb braid and a 25lb flouro. leader. Taught a "lesson" to a group of curious kids about a baby shark I caught, Let them feel his skin and talked about how they sense/smell things in the water, their eyelids, and how they can extend their lower jaw forward. That was fun.
Pier was very crowded as I expected by late morning but for the most part folks were pretty well behaved even with all of the fouled casts of plugs and crossed lines. I will try to get back down there again before the days get too brutally hot. One of these days I am going to get geared up and learn how to set a King rig. I have the rods and reels I need now I think. If we could have kept that clearing water I think it would have been an awesome late afternoon/evening bite and I am pretty sure the overnight bucket crowd will put some meat in the freezer tonight!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.