NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YES,I like catching bowfin and the fishing is great in Crabtree Creek!!!!! I live and fish in town in Raleigh only about 2 miles from my home. There are other fish in the creek and last week I caught 5 carp near and over 10 lbs each!!! Also, in the past I have caught flathead catfish in the 9 lb. category. The primary bait of chose for bows & cats are bream heads. There are also huge snapping turtles in the creek. In addition I' v caught longnose gars,crappie, and a few small largemouth bass. Seen while fishing; beaver herron, muskrat, otter and other small critters. That creek is amazing and all within the city limits. I'm always looking for someone to go fishing with me but no one ever seems to make it , even though they say they will. Hope to hear from you all soon. Peace.

·
Registered
512 Posts
When I lived in Raleigh, I used to launch a canoe above the Lassiter Mill (?) dam. What a peaceful paddle! Almost all the way up to the mall. I suspected there were decent fish in there! Nice report, and welcome.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey Bowfinman - where are the fishing spots on Crabtree Creek (roughly - don't need specific directions)? I've been on the boardwalk at the swamp between capital and raliegh blvds - I think the creek flows into there. May have followed the flow from Shelley Lake down to Crabtree (or close, anyway can't really recall) a long, long time ago - as a jogger:eek:. Other than that have only seen it in umstead, behind the mall, and from the bridge on Wake Forest Rd while car shopping...

·
Registered
300 Posts
dude i want to know where you are getting these fish out of crabtree creek!

I have seen fat parts of it out towards the beltline past newbern exit and thought that might be deep enough. let me know! i grew up in raleigh and am there often id be happy to go with you

·
Registered
504 Posts
YES,I like catching bowfin and the fishing is great in Crabtree Creek!!!!! I live and fish in town in Raleigh only about 2 miles from my home. There are other fish in the creek and last week I caught 5 carp near and over 10 lbs each!!! Also, in the past I have caught flathead catfish in the 9 lb. category. The primary bait of chose for bows & cats are bream heads. There are also huge snapping turtles in the creek. In addition I' v caught longnose gars,crappie, and a few small largemouth bass. Seen while fishing; beaver herron, muskrat, otter and other small critters. That creek is amazing and all within the city limits. I'm always looking for someone to go fishing with me but no one ever seems to make it , even though they say they will. Hope to hear from you all soon. Peace.
Hea bowfinman, I will go fishing with you I have a lot of time avail. Just PM me I live just south of Raleigh off of 10-10 road. I would love to try Crabtree Creek........Ed

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Welcome Bowfin. Do you fish from the shore or do you run the creek in something?

Have many times considered launching the kayak and floating through Raleigh. Paddling Eastern North Carolina lists 4 very doable floats, starting off Reedy Creek Rd. in Cary all the way to the Poole Rd. Neuse River launch. All are between 3 and 7 miles. Couple of them have short class 2 rapids. Probably a good impromptu Sunday run.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
BOWFINMAN,
WELCOME ABOARD GLAD TO SEE ANOTHER FINNER ONBOARD,I DO MOST OF MY FINNING IN JACKSONVILLE AND MAYSVILLE.
HAVENT CAUGHT ANY CARP DOWN HERE BUT HAVE CAUGHT SOME SLAMMERS FROM UP NORTH IN P.A 25+ POUNDERS ON 4 POUND TEST LINES.
MY BIGGEST GAR THIS YEAR WAS 15.03 POUNDS AND MY BIGGEST FIN HAS BEEN IN THE 12 POUND RANGES

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.