NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm stationed on camp lejeune and I am an avid bass fisherman (actually plan on going pro).I fish tournaments only so often and I have a deep interest in surf fishing. I grew up saltwater fishing but never from the surf too often. I plan on going to onslow beach for the most part to get on some bluefish, bull reds, and sharks. Does anyone know the best season for these fish in the surf? If anyone had any other spots to surf fish around jacksonville I would like to know. I have a 10ft surf rod and will be getting a penn 6000 fierce. Any advice on equipment and things I'll need to take with me? Bait and lure choices? (More into lures). Any advice or tips on anything surf would he great.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I'll drum fish in August from the beach at night. You won't have a field day with them but you can pick up a loner or two.
Unfortunately a flat surf is not the best surf for the big drum. You need some surf action.
I prefer the bait cast reels surf fishing. Levelwind and non levelwinds.

Sharks can be caught most all over the place. 500+ pounders have been caught behind Harkers Island so they come inland.
But I prefer the true surf for my fishing. You don't necessarily need large tackle to tackle a good sized shark either.
I landed a 6 foot nurse shark that was over a hundred pounds this summer on a ABU 6500 with 30 pound braid. Line capacity is the key not line size.

Bass fishing? Yea, I did all that stuff for years. Fished a lot of tournaments. Had the bass boats. Yadda yadda yadda.
I'll drive past 10,000 of the best bass holes in the world to get to the surf. I love it. Prefer the night over the day during the summer. But I'll spend hours in the surf fishing 10-16 hours every time I go. I can catch more fish bass fishing without a doubt sometimes but that isn't what it's all about. Hook up on a 40 pound drum from the surf and you'll know what I'm talking about. If you want to hear those reels really rip...hit the surf. I've had them bait clickers sounding like the reel was going to explode.

Nephew was in the 1-9 until it dsbanded. Not sure what he is in now but still in Lejeune maybe going to Ja-pan. Ground pounder.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
10' rod with a Fierce reels would not be my first choice.
Some what limiting, too big for most of what you will be catching locally & under gunned for Bull Reds, Sharks. Or big waves of Hatteras. I take a 10' with me to Outer banks to throw large plugs or heavy metal jigs for distance.
11'5" to 13' conventional for bait fishing, which you will do the most of when targeting Bull Reds & Sharks.
No one setup will work for every species of fish.

Here's a starter kit.
7.5 to 8', maybe 9 foot rods are the best & user friendly.
3000 to 4000 series reels, spooled with 15# to 20# braid is ideal.
You will have strength with line capacity to handle most fish while enjoying the fight.
Perfect for Flounder, Reds, Speckled Trout, Black Drum, Jacks, Blues, Pompano, Virginia Mullet aka Whiting.

Find out what the locals are fishing for & using. Surf fisherman love to share.

Hope this helps....... ICM

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You'll rarely see me throw a lure from the surf unless it's for some flounder. I'm a hold out for the big boys. I let the littlins swim by for everyone else. Not interested in puppy drum or slot drum for that matter. I start getting a little excited around the 34" mark.
I love the hard pulls and hard runs. I love the arm burn, the bruise on the thigh from the long butted rod. I can even deal with the sore back a little better if it came from catching fish.

Bass just can't do that. Catfish can't do it. A drum or a shark can.

Bait, wait. That's how I roll.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could my surf fishing setup do me any good at the Hatteras? Also any insight on a good spinning reel? Looking for the 70-80$ range. Something that can hold a lot of line that's appealing to the eye but also a somewhat small profile.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Look at Penn Battles 6000 for your 10' rod.

The thing about Hatteras is the height of the waves, distances to the outer bars, that's the reason for longer rods. ..... ICM

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You'll rarely see me throw a lure from the surf unless it's for some flounder. I'm a hold out for the big boys. I let the littlins swim by for everyone else.
Let's not deceive here. Bull reds ("old drum") will hit an artificial lure quite readily, sometimes better than a natural bait. All you have to do is put it in front of them.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Let's not deceive here. Bull reds ("old drum") will hit an artificial lure quite readily, sometimes better than a natural bait. All you have to do is put it in front of them.
It's not deceptive.
I can catch a large mouth bass on a beetle spin. However, how many people fish for a trophy large mouth with a beetle spin?
It's pretty simple. Get around the guys fishing for the big drum from the surf and look at how many are casting lures.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Look at Penn Battles 6000 for your 10' rod.

The thing about Hatteras is the height of the waves, distances to the outer bars, that's the reason for longer rods. ..... ICM

And the reason many use non levelwind baitcasters and hopped reels.
You can go in a tackle store at Atlantic Beach and not find a 12+ foot casting surf rod. They are all for open face.

You can go to a tackle store on Hatteras and find plenty of long surf rods for casting. If I were going to Hatteras, I would go all the way. The Hatteras Heaver and the conventional reel.

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's not deceptive.
I can catch a large mouth bass on a beetle spin. However, how many people fish for a trophy large mouth with a beetle spin?
It's pretty simple. Get around the guys fishing for the big drum from the surf and look at how many are casting lures.
Have caught 'Bulls' south side of point in April standing beside everyone throwing 8oz Hopkins. They were way beyond reach of 8nBait. We would spot a slick moving our way with binoculars and threw when they got out in front of us. 1509 Breakaway was what I use. 6-8oz lures bend it just right and cast a mile. It's not often your right.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Have caught 'Bulls' south side of point in April standing beside everyone throwing 8oz Hopkins. They were way beyond reach of 8nBait. We would spot a slick moving our way with binoculars and threw when they got out in front of us. 1509 Breakaway was what I use. 6-8oz lures bend it just right and cast a mile. It's not often your right.
Out of curiosity, have you ever pulley rigged? For the most part it is one of those foreign things but basically you can put the bait in the slipstream of an aerodynamic weight. On impact it all seperates.

Fish on pulls the weight the other way through the pulley and the weight leads the way in.

You can really sail a bait and weight with a pulley rig.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Out of curiosity, have you ever pulley rigged? For the most part it is one of those foreign things but basically you can put the bait in the slipstream of an aerodynamic weight. On impact it all seperates.

Fish on pulls the weight the other way through the pulley and the weight leads the way in.

You can really sail a bait and weight with a pulley rig.
I haven't tried that. Sounds like a good pier setup for kings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.