NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting either a Shimano 2500fj or a 3000fj for some spec. trout, flounder and red drum fishing. Plan on using jig heads with grubs, gulp, mirrolures, etc. I like power pro line. My questions are:
1. Which is better..regular power pro or power pro slick?
2. What size (20 lb, 30 lb, etc.) ?
3. What size leader?
4. What length leader?

Thanks

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
3000 , very little difference in weight, bit more capacity and a tad faster retrieve per revolution. Same drag I think.
20lb braid is great for that occasional bigger drum and better matched to the drag capabilities but 15lb is ok too. I hear bad stuff about Powerpro slick not holding up, fraying, etc. I love good old PPro myself or Suffix. Leader should be short enough to not pass into the eyes when you retrieve fully to cast. I use uni-uni with a drop of superglue. That's my opinion. Typically if I am going lighter than 15 I'm using mono for clear water. I admittedly am not as "sporting" as some guys. I like meat in the boat.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I've got reels with super slick 30 pound on them. I've beat it up pretty hard in the surf and rocks. Taxed it to the limit on some big drum and sharks. I don't have any complaints with it.
it's going to be more kind on the equipment because it's not as abrasive as regular Power Pro.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
The 2500 and 3000 are the exact same reel. Only difference is line capacity. Buy the 3000...you can take the spool off of one and use it on the other all day long. As for line, I prefer 10 pound regular power pro. The difference in casting distance is significant and I haven't had a 40 pound cobia or 50 inch old drum that was able to break it yet. The max drag is 15 pounds on that reel. No reason to go heavier on the line.

·
Registered
525 Posts
So far, the replies are all very similar. Mine is, too.
1) Super Slick is expensive and unnecessary along our coast IMO.
2) I'll have outfits loaded with both 10# and 15# with me.
3) Depending on water clarity and what you'll be fishing around - docks, oyster rocks, or unobstructed bottom - leaders will be from 10# in very clear or open water, up to 25# for tough conditions. 15# or 20# mostly.
4) 30-36" length. Not for stealth, but just so I can re-tie a few times.

You didn't mention what rod you were planning on using so my answers are based on a typical 7', medium action, fast taper rod rated for somewhere between 8 and 20# line and 1/4 to about 1 oz. lures.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The 2500 and 3000 are the exact same reel. Only difference is line capacity. Buy the 3000...you can take the spool off of one and use it on the other all day long. As for line, I prefer 10 pound regular power pro. The difference in casting distance is significant and I haven't had a 40 pound cobia or 50 inch old drum that was able to break it yet. The max drag is 15 pounds on that reel. No reason to go heavier on the line.
I have been listening to this man's adivice for several months now. He knows his stuff. I am using 10lb power pro on all of my reels except one and I run 15 on that one.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I can honestly say part of my decision on heavier line is my lack or patience when I get excited. I put too much pressure on a fish for 10lb. It's a personal flaw I recognize. I do love the distance you can get going light.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Sundrop, the cure for that is setting the drag before you hang the fish. I'd say most of these type reels have only 10-15 pounds of drag to begin with.

When I started using 30 pound braid on the surf I was fishing blind. Eventually you know when you are teetering on the breaking point by feel.

I don't get impatient. I became resigned to the fact a long time ago I wasn't going to get upset over any fish I lost.
It makes your fishing much easier.
I like to land them, but I don't have the slightest bit of regret when I lose one either.
I've already caught my fair share of fish in this life. If I never catch another trophy, I've had my run of them. No regrets.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
No more often than I have been getting to go the last few years it makes me CRAZY to lose a fish.. And I know better, and I know it's silly but its true . LOL! AS I get back out there I will get better at it, your advice is solid..

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
No more often than I have been getting to go the last few years it makes me CRAZY to lose a fish.. And I know better, and I know it's silly but its true . LOL! AS I get back out there I will get better at it, your advice is solid..
Are the fish you are losing actually breaking 10lb test braid? That is a lot if weight on the end of the line as I'm sure you know. Must be some bruises you're hooking. Not criticism - just wondering.
I use the 2500 ci4 stradic I got recently per advice from a member here and I'm extremely happy with it. Power pro not so much but that's just personal preference. I'll go back with Suffix next time I think. I use a 7' medium/fast shimano rod. I use a 12" fluoro leader and an Albright connection.
BTW - I don't catch many fish.
Just FYI
Good luck with the new gear

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like the 3000FJ because it has a T-handle knob instead of the paddle. I hate paddle-style knobs on spinning reels.

I use 10# regular Power Pro and a 15# flurocarbon leader no longer than 24". I don't want the knot going into the eye of my rod. It's hard on the eye and it can screw up your cast.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
A healthy Red or Striper will pop 10lb braid if you don't play him with the right hands/drag. I also get cut off around structure faster with 10lb than 20. I use a short leader as I like for it to stay out of the rod tip. I fish mostly structure and oysters because I generally don't have a trolling motor and fish what I can "see" and anchor/stakeout to work. I will have a troller soon, the last boat had one, but I only fished the boat a few times, the one before it did not. Much easier to work a shoreline or search bottom contour on the trolling motor..

·
Registered
138 Posts
I caught a 25" striper back in July and a 27.5" drum a few weeks ago with my 10# braid. I didn't winch them in, but I didn't have to baby them either. Both gave a real fun fight.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Yes on the FJ the spools interchange. The handle on the 3000 is different and some prefer the 2500 for the handle difference, some like the larger 3000 handle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.