NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fished Harris multiple times and have been here for awhile and always see people with such luck. I typically fish the shallows and lily pads early with topwater, after that I can't catch a darn thing. I've heard people talk about road beds and railroad bed, I have no idea where those are and how to fish them. Any of you seasoned vets give me a pointer or two? I'm not a tournament fisher or anything just look for advice. If you're afraid to give away secrets you can even private message me, any help will do, thanks guys!

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Have not fished Harris in awhile, but the shallows were always the most consistent fishing for me, hit them early with frogs and senkos. Buzzbaits are good in some of the shallows with underwater growth, frogs are best in the weeds that grow above the water. Senkos produce in any of the weed conditions. Mid-April to mid-June is the most active time for fishing the weeds and you need to be there at daybreak, cloudy is helpful.
Fish points and ledges with carolina rigged plastics and crank baits, big plastics and big fat free shads. Also look for humps, even rattle traps work.
Many people spend time on their fishfinders in deeper water and use spoons, roadrunners and jigs.
In the fall, spinner baits and chatterbaits work well.
Just need to put time in and watch/talk to other people. Maps can be found at the local Walmarts, The Tackle Box and online, which show the road beds, etc.
Good luck.

Reactions: Nailbender8

·
Registered
210 Posts
Have not fished Harris in a few years however I had the same frustration as you until I was given a great pointer from a fellow angler. That is, this time of year you need to fishing the points of the lake with crankbaits. His personal favorite was the Rapala DT series. I went and spent money on some new cranks, and guess what, I was wearing them on during the summer throwing them cranks on those points.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
isin`t HARRIS dangerous with that electrical plant right near there
If you are referring to the nuclear power plant, you are probably in just as much danger driving there as you are while you are there.

Reactions: jparker80

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
isin`t HARRIS dangerous with that electrical plant right near there
As long as no one throws the plant into the lake I think we are ok.

And, if the sirens did go off and there was smoke coming from the plant. I would just stay and fish. With the regular winds out of the southwest. I would be out of the path of the fallout. Where as my house in Cary will not be as lucky. And the traffic is gonna suk.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The power plant keeps some people away- I see that as a benefit. Water quality is better than many of the lakes and some of the rivers around here. You got otters, beaver, varied aquatic plants- and the cooling tower in the background:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.