NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all use for fish cleaning tables? Does treated plywood work fine for the main surface? Want to build a simple one that can stay out in the weather. Just plan on using a garden hose with a spray nozzle and a five gallon bucket for the garbage so no need for fancy plumbing.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I would think with the knots and splits in treated plywood it would probably collect blood, guts and scales. The treated plywood we had at Lowes when I worked there was pretty rough and was also very prone to warping. Alot of tables i have seen use a plastic, metal or fiberglass top. First thing that comes to my mind that would probably work well would be plywood covered with a sheet of FRP (easy to sanitize surface used on walls in restaurant kitchens) with smooth side up. That would be waterproof and esay clean up.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Go to kitchen design businesses that also sell and to places that do countertops. Most have a junk/trash pile. You can get a nice fish cleaning table top there.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Here's a few tables that i used down in florida, one being a plastic top table like i mentioned and the other being a concrete fish cleaning station with a 2 x 12 for the skinning part of it. this one had 6 nozzles hanging down from the top so alot of fish can be cleaned at once.

Food Seafood Ingredient Cuisine Dish Wood Seafood Food Fish Cuisine

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have built them out of treated 2x4s and 4x4s. They last years and are simple to clean up using a water hose. I also built one out of treated 1x4s that was a take-down table. If I can figure out how to put pictures on this site, I'll post them, If you have any questions, contact me.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I scavenged some old wooden shelving from work(24x48 2x4 frame with 1/2 inch plywood on top) then bought some heavy duty shelf brackets at Lowes. Mounted it to the side of my storage bldg. right next to boat. Put a coat of left over deck stain on it and done. Made a good cleaning/rigging table.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Habitat for Humanity Re-store. They have all kinds of sinks and cabinets and countertops. Also check Craigslist for stuff cheap .

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
You want smooth, cleanable surface to cut on. Prevent bacteria build up.
Here's one I found years ago, but never built. ......... ICM
Water Dog Wood Lake Table Rectangle Font Line Parallel Diagram

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I bid on a Fort Bragg stainless steel autopsy table once. The plan was to use it for a fish cleaning station.
Still waiting around for a stainless kitchen table out of a restaurant Something with a sink maybe.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Nothing fancy but I built this one out of a deck I took down. Have a plumber friend who gave me a used sink. Works really well. Water Plant Tree Natural landscape Lake Water Plant Rectangle Wood Grass Water Plant Outdoor bench Botany Automotive tire

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Drumrunner, stainless steel tables are great but those with sinks which are called chef's tables are rare and expensive even on the used market. Tell me what size table you want and how much you are willing to pay and I can probably get it for you. Just a word of caution, it would have to be set up in the shade as the steel will heat up quickly also the sun reflecting off of it would be annoying and hot.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts