NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might find myself on the outer banks this christmas and i love to surf fish, would i be wasting my time or can somebody give me some info . locations, species, rigs anything. fish the obx mostly in sept. don't have much experience in fishing the coast this late. please throw some charity my way.:D MERRY CHRISTMAS

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Where on the banx are you planning to go? If you want to head for hatteras, Red Drum Tackle posts daily fishing reports: http://www.reddrumtackle.com/forums/ Looks like the stripers are starting to show up! :D Unfortunately, it also looks like there are boneheads following :mad:.

Good luck
Lefty

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Tom, you should have a shot at stripers and bluefish. You might also get into some good trout fishing. False albacore maybe. Like you I don't have a lot of Christmas expierence. TAKE IT ALL AND BE PREPARED. HUNT THE FISH FROM A 4X4. THE TACKLE SHOPS WILL TELL YOU WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN BUT tHEY CAN'T ALWAYS TELL YOU WHERE THEY WILL BE. BE PREPARED TO DO A LITTLE HUNTING. NIGHT FISHING MAY BE MORE PRODUCTIVE FOR STRIPERS. MOST OF ALL GOOD LUCK AND MERRY CHRISTMAS .... AL

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx guys probably will fish right at hatteras or just south. as for taking my yota on the beach, me and sand don't mix. don't mind taking it off road but there is nothing on this side of the state that will swallow my truck:eek: dont mind walking, though.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
if you're going to the greater hatteras area, I'd recommend swinging by Red Drum on your way out and getting their suggestions. When I was there in October, they recommended heading south due to the strong winds and their direction.

There's some beach near the pier in Frisco that's walking distance... "The Point" is a pretty intimidating walk, in sand, carrying much gear. "Behind the motels" is easy walking, as are any of the public accesses between Avon and Buxton (but please respect the dunes in accordance with the laws -- Hurricane Isabel and her siblings have really done a number out there.)

If you need a place to stay, we've always enjoyed the Cape Hatteras Motel. (Even after Isabel rearranged it.)

Lefty

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
zooker said:
ok lefty what are bone heads??
In this case -- quasi-commercial fishermen who kill 300 drum in order to land 100 stripers. Just like most species, there are lots of local names for them. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tom,
You can pack a small backpack with a few basic items:leader, black swivels and a small box of a dozen assorted casting plugs and bucktails/soft plastics (don't forget the superglue). There's no need to overdo the gear. With the cool temps, your gonna want to cast and crank alot anyway just to keep the blood flowing. Do they make a bunker chunker powerbait these days? I'm sure you can catch one carrying less than 10 lbs in a sack...oh yeah, don't forget the snacks. Boink a bruiser in the broth for me. Merry Christmas
Andy

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys for the info don't mind walking with a pack, most of the trout fishing I do involves walking many miles uphill, in both directions:p don't mean to sound like a wimp about driving on the sand but had a bad experience at fort fisher several years ago.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
redfishtom--- I use a backpack and have to hoof it across the banks where I surf fish as the area where I am is only accessible by boat from the back side of Core Banks-- and as for the time of year, I caught a 50 lb. drum in Jan. one year-- so go get'm.

Regards, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Tom, I can understand your how it would be all too easy to get into trouble at Ft. Fisher. Not something you would want to repeat I am sure. If the fishing just ain't happening while you are there, maybe ol Neptune will send you a Christmas gift. I have found some pretty neat stuff there in the winter. Old bottles wash up from some of the old wrecks ocasionally and you have a better chance of finding them in the winter. There seems to be a better atmosphere in the winter there also. Its a good time to make new friends as people usually are in less of a rush during the winter. You might even recruit us a local expert.(hint...hint):D Whatever happens I hope it is good. Most of my expierences there have been. Have a nice Christmas. AL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.