NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically I fish at a 2 acre murky pond at bur mil park and have a great turn out with canal cats. I've catch several LMB and usually that's what I'll fish for. Here recently I haven't caught anything on any bait, lure, plastics or live. After many days fishing it with zero succuss. (7 out of the last 10 days)

I know a lot of my faults are because I use a spinnercast push button but still I've caught tons of 4-7 lbs fish with it and out of that pond. I'm out of new ideas and its been since I was a child that I've really fished up until 3-4 weeks ago. Any suggestions on baits, time of day, weather, that I should really be hitting this small pond. As everything I've tired isn't producing fish anymore.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Try a floating Rapala close to the banks...the fish are likely bedding and won't go too far to chase anything. The floating jerk baits can aggravate them into a protection mode...just pause it for fairly long pauses. A floating worm is a good bait to try, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've used floating frogs close to med cover, senkos, spinners, rat-l- traps you name it. I can't literally see 20-25 larger bass but they just won't strike. Theirs atleast 1 15lb cat in there too I was chasing for about 45mins with no luck.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Not frogs...the floating Rapalas and the floating worms...smaller overall profiles and more closely resemble bream that the bass are protecting the beds from.

Senko might work if in a green color...but the rat l traps are too much for bedding fish. The Rapalas and the floating worms can be held at the beds longer and make them more aggravated...prompting a strike if for no other reason than to get it away from the bed.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Agree with the others. The fish are on the beds and have to be annoyed into eating. In a few weeks your regular tactics will start to work again as the fish come off and start feeding again.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If the pond stays muddy alot- try some type of spinnerbait with LARGE blades to create alot of vibration. Try crayfish colored ( RED/ Orange ) crankbaits. Large black plastic worms work well in muddy water as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got several bass in a pond on easter by just bouncing a white super fluke with a keel weighted gamakatsu hook along the bottom and over beds. Also, I got around 3lb bass and some smaller ones on a unweighted super fluke jr. First time I'd tried those and they seemed to work pretty good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah tried to lizards today. I have to go pick up a rapala. The fish are very active, jumping and swimming. I think the problem is that this pond has a feeder and it gets worked hard on the weekends. I use watermelon senkos and I've caught 5 or 6 in 2 hours. Today I fished from 8am until 4 and had some bites but nothing that would stay. Gotta be my technique.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally today I caught some fish. A couple large channel cats and a small mouth bass. But unfortunately it was at a different fishing spot.Ialso caught a huge cat fish but it broke my line as soon as I got it on the bank and it rolled back in. Probably only 6 or 7 lbs Water Vertebrate Lake Fish Tail
Water Vertebrate Sky Fin Fish
Water Fish Ray-finned fish Marine biology Fishing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.