NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year with a boat(I've had my fill of pier fishing) and I need some suggestions on where to setup to fish for spots that should start running soon. I put in near the bogue inlet area. Would I have better luck just offshore or can I anchor up near the inlet? I've got a 16 year old girl that still wants to fish with her dad so I would like to see her get in a good run of them this fall. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Probably the best method would be to look for the spot fleet. Just take a cruise up the ICW when they start running. You should see a few boats here and there but there will be several in the better locations. If you are traveling fairly slow as you go by you will Know if they are in the right location by the activity. Just remember to give everyone their space and keep it fun. 2 anchors is better than one a lot of times in that situation. It will keep you from swing on the hook every time a boat goes by. I'll try and keep my eyes and ears open for you. You are right: it isn't that far off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sinkerman, I have noticed boats in the waterway lined up in the past, but I thought that sometimes they don't come inshore and offshore a short ways would be good.

Probably the best method would be to look for the spot fleet. Just take a cruise up the ICW when they start running. You should see a few boats here and there but there will be several in the better locations. If you are traveling fairly slow as you go by you will Know if they are in the right location by the activity. Just remember to give everyone their space and keep it fun. 2 anchors is better than one a lot of times in that situation. It will keep you from swing on the hook every time a boat goes by. I'll try and keep my eyes and ears open for you. You are right: it isn't that far off.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I don't fish up that way but down here around Topsail, where the channel from the inlet connects to the waterway is usually the best area.

They catch 'em from the piers, so on the ocean side I would bet that in shallow water near the shoals around the outside of the inlet would be good too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.