NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to know some great tips and tackle ideas for my new ultra light rod. I have plenty of jig heads, but i was wondering the best size and technique. I mostly fish from a bank. I have a 5.6' ultralight with a pfleugar reel. I would love as much advice as possible!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello BigL20. Welcome to the site and glad to have you aboard. Ultra Light? I have a two or three of them for Crappie/Bream fishing. Nice reel. I have a couple of pfluegar reels and both are smooth and dependable. Good Price too. Anyway, I would stick with 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, size jigs, but today they make these small buzz baits that might get you a topwater strike on one of these cool evenings before sun-down. You using 4 or 6 lb line? That makes a difference. 8 or higher will not cast well on a 5'6" rod. There are lots of small crankbaits today too. Yo-zuri has some small freshwater crystal minnows that would be good. Rapala always has small crankbaits. Even small rattle-traps are available. Wally World, Dick's Sporting Goods, Neuse River Sports Shop, or many other Tackle Monkey stores have loads of lures. I prefer the beetle spins, or rapala models for freshwater. Hope this is help.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Slowriser has some good points for you. Only thing I can add that has worked for me is I love fishin with my son's ultra mini set up. 4 lb test Berkley Tourney line (yellow stuff), put on a one inch black back with silver side Rapala medium diving lure. It's deadly along banks and fishing above grasses.

My other favorite is same set up, but using a rubber frog (ones with them squiggly legs - solid body type v.s. hollow body). Throw that sucker up near the bank and tug it back to the boat over lilly pads or thru grass. Very similar to this pic, but in a solid body:

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Small rooster tails catch anything that swims.

For bass, try a jighead&finesse worm - 4", or weightless french-fry worms (or other small finesse worm) on a 1/0 worm hook. Texas style or wacky style if you've got open water.

Try the dropshot - nose hook a tiny, wiggly worm or grub on a small circle hook, with a 12-24" tag end and a small sinker on the bottom. Don't bother with the special drop shot [-]hooks[/-](oops) sinkers, just use a small split shot or crimp sinker. Get just enough tension in the line to allow the weight to sit on the bottom, below the worm, and jiggle the tip to make the worm dance in place. After a few jiggles and some sitting idle, lift the rod and let the weight pendulum a foot or two toward you and repeat...

I'd also get a small, shallow, fat crank - mann's baby 1 minus (might be a little heavy) or the smallest fat rap if they're still around. Bandit makes a small shallow crank - there are several to choose from.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Don't forget the Panther Martin's and Blue Fox spinners. The jigs will catch most anything. 4lb line should do just fine. If you hook a decent bass, just loosen up the drag and play the fish out.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
i have caught dozens of LMB on zara spook puppies (the smallest spook heddon makes) this spring and early summer on my ultralight. also caught i nice 18.5" drum this previous saturday on a small bucktail (1/4 ounce) with a scrap of a gulp jerkbait attached. that was a blast, but my 5' 1/2" rod was just about too short to handle a red in a kayak, and i would need more backbone in the rod to muscle bigger reds out of the grass. but it was a blast trying to wrestle that red to the boat!

BTW: i'm using a fairly cheap rig -- okuma stratus reel (on sale at dick's for $30) and their house-brand rod (northeast outfitters?), 2 piece 5' 1/2" (on sale for $15 but not as "whippy" as a lot of other cheap UL rods). the reel is one of the best cheap reels i've ever used -- 9 ball bearings, and drag is very smooth. i have used both power pro and fireline in 10lb and 8lb test -- much prefer fireline in 8lb, altho i think they might make a 4lb test? i find it is not as limp as power pro, and just that little bit of extra body prevents some problems (e.g., rod & lure wrap is not as bad with fireline).

FWIW // Joel

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey BigL20, looks like you got a belly ful of advice very quickly. I knew that would happen. Folks here are always ready and willing to help a follow angler out. All great advice and should put you in position to catch'em. One thing I would consider. With a small rod for UL, I prefer a solid one piece rod so I don't have to deal with it separating. Sometimes those UL rigs will loosen up after a numbers of cast and then you end up sending the top half of the rod out with your lure. I like the frogs too, like Dave. I'm just old and can't remember all the things at once. Thanks Dave. What was I saying? Oh! Its a rush to get a bass to smack that topwater lure. Big ole Moss Back sucking in water, lure, and air. Excitement!!!!

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I got on a mess of bluegill yesterday and switched to my UL. I had the 2 peice rod problem Slowriser mentioned and I cured it with Superglue..LOL I like the little rooster tails in white,brown,black and gray. Gold spinner primarily and I have silver too.
A small float and crickets guarantee a good time as well..
You can also tip your lures with red wiggler if you need a little scent.
I like 1/16 1/32 on 6 lb test. You can "cheat" and go up a bit on test if you use Fireline and equivalents because of the smaller diameter. I like enough test to get hung up and still have a good chance of pulling loose. I guess in a kayak you have a better way to recover hangups but it spoils your fishing spot.
I have even used flyrod "poppers" with mono line if the wind is light or to your back...

Reactions: Slowriser

·
Registered
98 Posts
A 1-piece rod is a must for UL and must be matched to the line that you are using. WD and I fished Harris out of my canoe with UL set-ups and just slayed the Crappie and Bass. I think he was using 4# or 6# on a 6' 1-piece rod and I was using 2# on a 5' 1-piece. The rod has to be very limber that will bend evenly when fighting a fish otherwise you will get a lot of line breaks. Also I prefer ceramic guides as they are easy on the line. Also check your line after every hook up as the lighter line gets nicked easily. I fished UL for about 20 years now catching mainly trout up north.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Good points from everyone. I am sure that BigL20 has got plenty to think about and might even catch a finned critter or two. You folks are amazing. This site is awesome.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Don't overlook the live bait option with an uitralight. It is tops for tossing a bait to a nice fish because you can use small hooks and no other hardware for the best possible presentation. If you are fishing a clear lake or stream where you can spot fish and cast to them; just walking the banks and sightfishing is not only deadly but a blast. Take advantange of the new small size circle hooks. They will keep your line out of the fishes mouth: that will make landing a big one more likely. Nothing to landing big bass on an ultralight. Just remember to clip off a couple feet of line and retie after you do because they can fray your line enough to limit your chances on the next one.

·
Registered
841 Posts
You may want to consider trying a spool of light braid on your rig. I like power pro, but any nice limp braid should work. On my light rig with 10lb braid, I found that I can cast at least 150% as far as I was using 6 lb mono, and don't have to deal with the line taking a "set" like mono will. Unfortunately, a good spinner will twist braid almost as bad as it will mono, so use a swivel or snap swivel with them.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
So, if i have a reel with 4 lb. test on it I should get a braid that has the same dimensions as 4 lb test mono? I believe I saw some the other day like this. Was thinking about buying some. I see that spider wire is green. Does this affect the fishing the green line?? didn't mean to hijack the thread but just some things I was wondering while looking at wally world and gander mtn.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Biggie, Haven't been on this site for a while. If you look into a second ultralight, consider a longer rod. I have a 7' I'll let you borrow sometime. You can cast MUCH farther and it helps a lot with hooking and playing the fish. Only a few rod makers have UL's over 6', except for the super long crappie sticks, which is not what I'm referring to when I say long.

My biggest tip would be to stay small with your hooks. Use light wire hooks and don't go trying to fish a big jig and pig or a 10 inch worm or something that requires heavy hook setting.

Will E. tried to fish a small jig and pig once (1/8 oz bitsy bug) The lure was in his mouth. His ultra light doubled, and as he started to reel the bass was gone. TWICE that happened and I threw behind him and caught 2 7lbers within 10 minutes on a much heavier rod. Sound like a fishing tale? Ask him and I've got pics of each bass and his pouty face.

Some great UL fun is the delayed harvest trout fishing in NC. Near the beginning of the stocking months its so easy its a joke. Big trout are a blast. You can wade past a fly fisherman who looks like he bought the whole Orvis store and catch a trout on your $35 setup.

Tight lines and send me some pics of those big bass I heard about.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
So, if i have a reel with 4 lb. test on it I should get a braid that has the same dimensions as 4 lb test mono? I believe I saw some the other day like this. Was thinking about buying some. I see that spider wire is green. Does this affect the fishing the green line?? didn't mean to hijack the thread but just some things I was wondering while looking at wally world and gander mtn.
That's how I do it, Coach. 3-6lb diameter, 10-12lb test braid. If I'm fishing really clear water with slow moving or live baits I'll use a clear leader, but most of my fishing is stained/dingy water and moving baits, so I hardly ever bother. The braid outlasts the mono 3 or 4 to 1 and the heavier test rating means I get a few more hooks & lures (& sticks) back. I haven't found the line twist issue to be nearly as bad with braids as with mono on spinners. A good shot of Real Magic quiets it down going through the guides and makes it fly off the reel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lets go get our ultra light on sometime soon! You have now given me something else to go and research and buy. Alright I am getting a new 7' ultralight. Maybe we will go tear it up on Sunday! Hope you and the fam are doing well!

·
Registered
51 Posts
nice little setup,.i own a pluegar reel on one of my ul setups,i fish a lot small hair jigs(doll flies,ice jigs) in sizes from 1/32 to a 1/8,but i use a lot of small tube in 2 to 3 inches too.a really good quality line what i use is from silver thread their trout series line is very exceptional .i like it because of its low stretch quality.this setup can be used with cranks such as the mini fat rap,bombers,yo zuri snap beans,and all the inline spinners up to a 1/4 oz .i alwayskeep the extra spool it came with lined with 6 pd test to vary the fall rate on the small jigs, good luck ,much fish to you!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.