NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an old SMR Striker vhf marine radio and I was wondering if anyone might have an old antennae setup they have upgraded from they would like to sell *cheap* :D
I "assume" the ground is part of the radio coax cable in watercraft since most boats are fiberglass. I've never dealt with marine stuff before just CBs that use the body as a ground.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I wish I knew what I did with an antennae I had been saving back. It was an oldie but a goodie. Stainless 1/4 wave whip with a loaded base. It was good for over 20 miles on a small boat and it was short enough to stay out of the way. Excellent for someone that liked to fish but didn't like having to remember to lay down an antenna before putting it on the trailer. You are correct on the ground. The coax ground goes to ground inside the radio on plastic case models and from there to the battery ground thru the 12V wiring.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry for the late post..been busy at work. If you haven't gotten rigged up I have a nice SS ratchet antenna mount taking up space in the shed I'd be glad to pass on. Snapped the antenna though so I can't help you there.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OOh I'll take it! Where are you!:)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Drop, you sure that's a VHF?? looks like somethin that was pulled off the dash of a '74 Ford pick up!!! ha ha ha ha ....

hey, if you are interested,, I have a hand-held VHF that I wont be using/needing anytime soon.. let me know if you're interested.. it has a rechargable pack and a pack for AA's, and a at home charger and a charger for in the car/truck/boat, of course like new,, but... think we can work something out for ya to bring you up to date a little... though it is a handheld, not hardwire unit.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the idea of being able to take it out if the boat. I have to worry about people stealing around here. PM me and let me know what we need to do... I'm interested... :)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, I'll tell ya right now what we need to do... have Mrs. Drop make up one of them thar Lemon cakes and we'll call it even-steven! ;)
I can't pass that deal up! I'll get with her and set up a time to make the swap! Thanks Dave!!! You'll know where it is if you ever need it! and I owe ya!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sundrop-looks like Dave has got you rigged up. If you still need the ratchet mount let me know. I'm just outside Clayton but could drop it in the mail.
I appreciate it RED, looks like I'm going to go 21st century!...LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.