NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find someone within a reasonable distance of Snow Hill that would clean and polish a 19.6 ft fiberglass v hull. The boat has been setting up for a couple of years, but was well cared for before that. There some surface mold inside that will need to be scrubbed out. Would prefer someone that could also check the whole boat and motor and make sure everything works correctly and is water ready.

Any suggestions and opinions are appreciated. Also information on what to roughly expect on price. I have never had this done before and would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Typically guys charge from $12-$20 per foot to clean and wax, extreme work requires more as it may entail wet sanding off oxidation etc. As far as the running and electrical now you are talking shop prices that can run $80 or more per hour and if it has sat it may need the fuel system cleaned, tank cleaned, if it has carbs they may need cleaning or rebuilding, fuel pump, water pump, batteries, and what ever the electrical system, live well pumps, bilge pump, lighting. Trailer will also need checking out, wheel bearings cleaned and greased possibly new seals and bearings, lighting checked, rollers, slides etc checked out for decay, corrosion, etc. What kind of boat, what engine? I might be interested in doing this myself, as right now I am not working other than refurbishing a rental house and it is almost done.

Reactions: shrek

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
To have the boat cleaned like you are describing, I would expect at least $300. Yeah, it's not cheap. I can't recommend anyone in your area and personally due to the cost I always do it myself. The mold on the inside will come out really easy with a little bit of Bar Keepers Friend a scrub brush and water. As far as refinishing the shine on your boat you will need a buffer (not the orbital kind) and a good Marine polishing compound/wax. I like 3M Wax and Restore. Get the boat really clean before doing the polishing. For spots that are hard to clean ie rust/blook stains a little On/Off will work wonders.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I will vouch for Sundrop. He does excellent work and takes pride in what he does. In fact, I am currently working on an outboard of my own and if I don't get it figured out soon knowing that he is out of work I will likely be hiring him to look at it. Fyi Brent ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Typically guys charge from $12-$20 per foot to clean and wax, extreme work requires more as it may entail wet sanding off oxidation etc. As far as the running and electrical now you are talking shop prices that can run $80 or more per hour and if it has sat it may need the fuel system cleaned, tank cleaned, if it has carbs they may need cleaning or rebuilding, fuel pump, water pump, batteries, and what ever the electrical system, live well pumps, bilge pump, lighting. Trailer will also need checking out, wheel bearings cleaned and greased possibly new seals and bearings, lighting checked, rollers, slides etc checked out for decay, corrosion, etc. What kind of boat, what engine? I might be interested in doing this myself, as right now I am not working other than refurbishing a rental house and it is almost done.
19.5 ft pro sports center console hand laid fiberglass deep v.

The fuel tank is about half full and had some sta-bil added.

The motor will turn over and crank as of a six months ago. It has been cranked a few times in the last two years(always with a water hookup attached), but never run more than a couple of minutes. The engine is a 150 Yamaha, older model that is carbureted. Motor was pristine when parked with perfect compression on all cylinders. This motor was clean enough to eat off of two years ago.

The trailer bearings were packed before it was parked.

It has new electronics that were added before it was parked and that was never used.

The hull has a couple of spots that may need attention.

Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will vouch for Sundrop. He does excellent work and takes pride in what he does. In fact, I am currently working on an outboard of my own and if I don't get it figured out soon knowing that he is out of work I will likely be hiring him to look at it. Fyi Brent ;)
Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there anyone with any other recommendations? I haven't had any response from anyone.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Any full time marine mech/detailer is going to charge big money. Shop rates are $75 and hour and up.. I wouldn't risk running a motor far on an old water pump impeller either. And that's going to run $175 or more alone at shop prices. You can drop $400+ easily to rebuild carbs if needed and most shops will not check anything when you say stored 2 yrs they will insist you do carbs, fuel pump water pump and all fuel lines along with filters and tank cleaning or they will not touch it. ( reputation is important for shops and if you ask for a 1/2 job and you break down your gonna say &*^% shop did the work and here I am broke down!! so they don't risk it, it's all or nothing.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Oh and Stabil and most other fuel stabilizers are rated for 6 month storage, no more.. and unless it was especially formulated for ethanol fuels you have water regardless of the stabilizer, and possibly algae growth in the tank that will break loose when you run it on the water..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any full time marine mech/detailer is going to charge big money. Shop rates are $75 and hour and up.. I wouldn't risk running a motor far on an old water pump impeller either. And that's going to run $175 or more alone at shop prices. You can drop $400+ easily to rebuild carbs if needed and most shops will not check anything when you say stored 2 yrs they will insist you do carbs, fuel pump water pump and all fuel lines along with filters and tank cleaning or they will not touch it. ( reputation is important for shops and if you ask for a 1/2 job and you break down your gonna say &*^% shop did the work and here I am broke down!! so they don't risk it, it's all or nothing.
Oh and Stabil and most other fuel stabilizers are rated for 6 month storage, no more.. and unless it was especially formulated for ethanol fuels you have water regardless of the stabilizer, and possibly algae growth in the tank that will break loose when you run it on the water..
Sundrop, thank you for your replies. You have given me excellent advise, but my main question has been left unanswered - who cleans boats in this area?

If you are interested I would be glad to let you look at what I have and give me a ballpark figure on the job.

If your not interested, who else do I look to for this type of work in my area?

I appreciate your help in this matter.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
found this on google [h=3]Tide Tamer
Boating > Boat Repair & Detailing[/h]900 Hwy 258 S, Snow Hill, NC 28580

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, sundrop. Is there any other things I need to consider in order to get this boat back in the water other than what you have listed?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Make sure you have all of your required safety gear fire extinguisher etc. Check and clean all wiring connections, and check lights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. If you decide you want to look at it, let me know. I don't mind driving it to you if you want to look.

Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts