NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I've compiled a list of possible information to include in the Fishing Log program. A member placing an entry in their fishing log can input as little or as much as they want. I'm including what I have in mind below but I need your input on refining the choices. The idea here is that the Fishing Log would enable the user to search their database of fishing log entries over time to get a profile of where/when/for what they are fishing and getting the best results. In order to facilitate an effective search I need to know a) what should be searchable and b) what items can we assign specific choices for the answers, making the database easier to search and the information more reliable. For instance...instead of having a text input box for "Water Clarity" where the member could say anything, we might have a 'drop-down box' with choices for "Clear, murky, muddy," etc.

If you are interested in assisting with developing this Fishing Log would you take a few minutes to look at the list below and give me an idea of what choices you would include for items that specify 'drop-down boxes'? It would also be helpful to know what you would like to have as "searchable".

I welcome any other comments that you might have. The programmer is awaiting this input before finalizing the program so I will compile your answers this week and provide to him. Thanks for your help!

Caught Fish (yes/no)
Attach Photo (Radio Button to photo attachment option)

Trip Time/Date:
- Date of Trip (date dropdown selection)
- Time Fish Caught (dropdown time selection)

Trip Location:
- Location Name (input box)
- Location Description (input box)
- GPS Latitude (input box)
- GPS Longitude (input box)
- Waypoint Name: (input box)

Fishing/Catch Information
- Catch Information (big textarea box)
- Best Fish: Weight: Length: Girth: (input box)
- Species: (input box or drop down if we list all the species we want to log-better solution and easier to enter)
- Bait (dropdown-'live shrimp', 'pogies', 'worms', 'bloodworms', etc. - I need a list here of bait for saltwater and freshwater)
- Lures used (textarea box)
- Water Depth (dropdown box - 1-30', then 5' increments?)
- Structure Description (textarea box)
- Gear used (textarea box)
- Presentation (textarea box)

Weather/Tides
- Moon Phase (dropdown - what moon phases?)
- Tide Info (dropdown - tide descriptions?)
- Tide Notes (input box) (to record specifics on tidal affect when fish actually caught)
- Sky conditions (dropdown Sunny; Cloudy; Partly Cloudy; Overcast; Rain; Thunderstorms, others?)
- Air Temp (input box)
- Water Temp (dropdown box - what minimum to what maximum temp?)
- Water Clarity (dropdown box - what to include?)
- Water Lake Level (input box)
- Water Salinity (input box?)
- Seas (dropdown box - 'flat', '1-2', 2-3', 3-4', 4-5', 5-6', 6-7', 7-8', 8-9')
- Barometric Pressure (input box?)
- Wind Direction (dropdown - what to include?)
- Wind Speed (dropdown - what to include?)
- General Weather Conditions Today (textarea box)
- General Weather Conditions Previous Day (textarea box)

Tournament Details
- Fishing Tournament? (yes/no selection)
- Tournament Name (input box)
- Tournament Location (input box)
- Finish Place (input box or dropdown?)
- Winnings (input box)

Misc.
- Notes (textarea box)

Boat/Fishing Expenses
- Fuel Consumption (input box) (gallons example: 5.3)
- Fuel Cost (input box) (cost per gallon)
- Fuel Expense (input box) (gallons used x cost per gallon)
- Boat Launch/Ramp & Fees (textarea box)
- Misc Cost (textarea box)
The choices are for a "textarea box" (a window area much like where we edit our posts); an "input box" (a small one line text entry box); "dropdown box" (you click on it and you have a set number of choices to select from); and "radio buttons" (buttons that you click such as "yes" or "no"). Thanks for any input in making our Fishing Log program more effective. :)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Boy, talk about an open invitation..... I may not know much about fishing, but I know how to review a software design...

Will the "Upload Photo" radio button support more than one photo? Do ya want it to?

After entering the date, can you look up the moon phase on the server side? (Maybe this might be a feature for release 2...)

If I caught more than one run of fish, do I enter multiple times, or should each batch of fish be a separate report? Will the time I enter be adjusted for the timezone preference in my UserCP?

(Which calls to mind... how far out of hand do you want to allow this design to grow? If I hit the lakes in Texas with my wife's granddaddy, should I log it here? Or do you want to restrict things to North Carolina for now?)

Can I "create like" my last report if I went back to the same place again?

After a name has been given to a particular location, can you retrieve the other location parameters? Should this location database be shared, private, or both?

For species and bait -- how worried are you about the variety of common names for the same species?

I like the dropdown box for depth, I've found that kind of thing works better than an entry field, but do what you can to make it easy to pick from the keyboard. Also, when searching on depth, you ought to be able to search a range rather than a specific value.

For temperature, consider whether you need to record in Farenheit or Centigrade... I'm nervous that dropdown boxes might not be the best bet for these temps -- it seems like one or two degrees is important, so you probably don't want to choose ranges (30-34, 35-39, ...) but especially for air temps in Farenheit, you'll need a range of over 70 degrees... that's a lot of entries for a dropdown...

Anyhow -- a few quick thoughts. Won't hurt my feelings if you decide you can't afford to worry about any of them right now. Looks to me like you're off to a good start.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Randy--- Looks like you have covered all bases-- Since we are dealing with fishermen here -- You may want to replace-- Log In with Swearing On--to use the log.:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Randy, That is quite a selection of inputs. I think the majority of them seem to be oriented to the Professional Charter Boat Captain. I am sure most them keep their own logs so maybe they could share what kind of info they keep.

A few things:

-When entering the time I would rather input the time duration for the trip i.e.: 0700-1000 and then enter in the peak fishing times either in another menu or in the notes.

-If there is going to be drag down menus for bait/lures, are you going to leave the option of filling in your own choice if none of the provided choices apply?

-Will the tide tables and so lunar calendars be part of the database? I have no idea how to set it up, but it would be super cool if that info were automatically attached to the report.

-As Lefty mentioned it would be nice to be able to attach multiple photos.

-For gear used I would consider a drag down menu with the option of filling in if none apply.

-A by no means all inclusive list of fresh water baits:
Night Crawlers
Leaf Worms
Leeches
Grubs
Crickets
Grasshoppers
Crayfish
Minnows
Cut Bait
Chicken Liver
Stink Bait
Power Bait
Gummy Worms (Cannot forget that one)
Salmon Egg/Roe
This is definitely an area that would need an option of allowing the user to add items. I have seen people use crazy stuff like hot dogs and chewing gum.

I wish I could be of more help with this project. I have built one small basic database and know how much work it takes to arrange something like this. I would offer my service with creating this, but I think it is probably best left to someone with some for real skills in this department.

Finally, I cannot wait to see the finished product. I think this will be a great resource for all NCanglers members.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Randy - wow - it looks like a lot of thought has gone into this project already, thanks for all your effort!

I like the concept of multiple reports for a single trip. If I fish for 5 or 6 hours and move to differnt areas - I log each significant area/time so that later I can tell which time and which area of the trip was the most productive. I also agree that a range of time for a report and a "peak" time is a good idea.

Could two fields be added for type of fishing, say a drop down box with choices like Freshwater-shore; Freshwater-boat; Saltwater-surf; saltwater-pier; Saltwater-boat That way later when doing anaylsis it would be easier to filter the relevant data.

Partial list of Saltwater bait:
Pogy (menhaden)
Finger Mullet
Cut bait
Live Shrimp
Dead Shrimp
Squid
Bloodworms
Bluefish
Mud Minnow
Ballyhoo
Cigar Minnow
Crab
Sand Flea
Calm Belly
Shiner
Greenback (herring)

Hope this helps.

Again thanks for asking!

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, this is exactly the kind of input I need. Please keep it coming. Specifically I need to know what items to put in a predefined list, as Mike did with the "Saltwater-surf; Saltwater-pier, etc."

how about the moon phases, water clarity, tide info, etc.?

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm incorporating all your input so far and it is looking good. There is one item that I couldn't incorporate and wanted to let you know why.

-Will the tide tables and so lunar calendars be part of the database? I have no idea how to set it up, but it would be super cool if that info were automatically attached to the report.
I had hoped to be able to link to a tide table and lunar table database from the Fishing Log. But I have been unable to find a database of this information that I can link directly to yet. We'll try to work this into a future version.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Would a radio button to attach daily weather /tide report be possible at some point? Local deviation could be added in a seperate place for each spot. Freshwater reports would be much simpler in some respects. In saltwater fishing a lot of folks will start the trip fishing for one species or at one spot then move to another spot a significant distance away: if the fish they are after aren't biting there they may move again usually to a different depth and or water temp.in my view an estimated peak activity as noted by the angler (fill in)per spot would be most efficient. you might need two or thee peak activity times per spot and a remarks section for each. Some times one species will bite good until a tide shift then another species will bite for example. What I am thinking is thatyou click on a region and a header with the weather , lunar cycle and solunar predictions all pop up in a header above the form. This information would be non interactive and a permanant feature. Adjustments for location could be noted in the form underneath. I WILL TRY TO GIVE A COUPLE EXAMPLES TOMOROW. AL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Possible Rough Draft Format for Saltwater Reports

TYPE REPORT: SALTWATER OFFSHORE REGION: CENTRAL DATE: MAR 15 2005
POP UP DAILY WEATHER AND MOONPHASE BLOCK FROM HOME PAGE
TIDE DATA FOR NEW RIVER INLET OR OTHER MAJOR INLET IN REGION PEAK AND MINOR SOLUNAR TIMES.

INLET DEPARTED : NEW TOPSAIL
LOCATION A : INTRUDER ROCK GPS# (OPTIONAL)
DEPTH: 58' WATER TEMP: 61 F CLARITY: VERY CLEAR COLOR: EMERALD GREEN
SEAWEED: LESS THAN NORMAL BAIT ABUNDANCE: ABOVE AVERAGE (MANY RAIN MINNOWS) TIDE DEVIATION FROM NEW RIVER INLET: (OR INLET OF CHOICE.) -27 MIN.
PEAK TIME AT LOCATION A FOR (GROUPER/ BEELINERS) 0650-0835pm PEAK TIME 2 AT LOCATION A FOR (ATLANTIC BONITO) 0850-0915
REMARKS BLOCK SIMILAR TO QUICK REPLY WITH RADIO BUTTON FOR PHOTOS

LOCATION B: SAME FORMAT AS LOCATION A
LOCATION C:
LOCATION D:

THIS IS INTENDED TO PROMOTE DISCUSSION ON WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE AS FAR AS INFORMATION AND FORMAT. REMEMBER THAT RANDY MAY NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE CERTAIN FEATURES AUTOMATIC AND IN SOME CASES DROPDOWNS WOULD GET OUT OF HAND AS IN TEMPERATURE .

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I've incorporated everything I could at this point and it is in the hands of our programmer. I hope to have this online and active before January 1st.

I've also found a great solution for Tide Tables and I'm just trying to figure out now how to program it to show up on the site. Shouldn't be long though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Capt, Once again you wii come threw for us. Didnt you have self made journals already.I believe i have filled themout .from my last two tournament.... As for an idea besides all the important stuff could we get an area for comments about the day....P.S i will be joining capt club this month..

As always thank you for your work .I dont believe you know how respected you are

Warren (nitrobass)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Wow!!! I had been hoping that someone would come out with usable Fishing Journal Software. The stuff that I have seen on the web is really. Looks like you have already received some great input. I'm anxious to see the finished product. Great Idea!

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm glad you guys posted in this thread again (hasn't been posted in since 2005!). It made me realize that I had not added the Fishing Logs link to the Tools menu above. I've done that now. Registered members can create a fishing log and manage their logs here: http://www.ncangler.com/forums/fishinglog.php?do=listlogs

You can also access Fishing Log links in your User CP (Control Panel) in the left hand column: http://www.ncangler.com/forums/usercp.php

Captains Club Members can view other members logs but only if the member has designated the log as viewable to the Public and not as "Private". Any members log that is designated as Private will not be seen by anyone else.

Nitrobass...in the lower left of the log entry there is a section for "Miscellaneous Notes" where you can add any information about the day.

Backlash...this has actually been in operation for three years already. I guess I've kept it a secret so thank you guys for reminding members about it again. If you like to keep records of your fishing conditions, lures used, etc. it really is a handy tool. Enjoy! :)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I am anxiously awaiting having ionfo worth logging!!! Nice work Randy!

Reactions: NCangler
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.