NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check out the Stowaway nets: http://stowmaster.norsemenoutdoors.com/

I have one of the saltwater series nets. I love it. The net material is better than the rubber nets, in my opinion. It's very easy to get your trebles out and get back to fishing. I believe they have a model specifically for kayak fishing.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
So Mikeski, did you ever get a net? If you got the frabil folder, how is it holding up? I was looking at those but they seem just a bit on the flimsy side, not that I'm catching any monsters, but I sure plan to some day.

NeuseRvrRat, I looked at the site and those nets look pretty well made. I am a cheap ***, but I can see spending the extra money on something that is well made and will last. Have you had any big tests with your net thus far, and how did it handle? Also, do you think the material used in the stowmaster is easy on the fish, like rubber is supposed to be?

I have a small boat with no storage to speak of so I would really like to avoid a non-folding net.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Oh yeah, NeuseRvrRat, where'd you get your stowmaster and what size would you recommend? I don't want to purchase online if I can avoid it. I'd like something that will handle a decent red drum or trout even though I haven't caught any large ones YET. Looking at the 17" X 23", should be large enough, right?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, I did purchase a new net. The other one I had caught every treble hook that went into it. I got this one. http://frabill.com/landing-nets/folding-nets/14-x-18-power-stow-net-2.html. I got the extending handle so I could use it in my yak or boat. No hook fouling so far. And it's around $85 on the web. I got mine at BassPro because I had a gift cert for there.

mikeski

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yup, I did purchase a new net. The other one I had caught every treble hook that went into it. I got this one. http://frabill.com/landing-nets/folding-nets/14-x-18-power-stow-net-2.html. I got the extending handle so I could use it in my yak or boat. No hook fouling so far. And it's around $85 on the web. I got mine at BassPro because I had a gift cert for there.

mikeski
The powerstow looks more stout than the less expensive folding nets offered by Frabil, how is it holding up and have you put any large fish in it? Can't tell how it folds from the picture, is that part pretty well constructed and easy/quick to fold and unfold? I looked at the $40 folding one up at BPS and I got the impression that folding and unfolding that plastic joint repeatedly woud wear that locking mechanism out, not to mention one or two good hogs may have caused it to collapse.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For this one the net folds in half along the shaft. And the shaft slides up into the net area for stowage. I have a removable rocket launcher tube behind my seat. I usually leave it folded with the handle pulled out. There is no need to extend the handle in the yak. But that length helps in the boat. Also, there is a track in that keeps the head from folding when extended.

I like it much better than the triangular folding net I was using. My only problem with it was the time it took to get a lure out of the netting. It landed a few bass over 4lbs and two 22"?? flounder. So it's sturdy. And the clip was strong enough.

The new one has not held on to a lure yet. Even UL baits and their tiny hooks.

mikeski

·
Registered
138 Posts
So Mikeski, did you ever get a net? If you got the frabil folder, how is it holding up? I was looking at those but they seem just a bit on the flimsy side, not that I'm catching any monsters, but I sure plan to some day.

NeuseRvrRat, I looked at the site and those nets look pretty well made. I am a cheap ***, but I can see spending the extra money on something that is well made and will last. Have you had any big tests with your net thus far, and how did it handle? Also, do you think the material used in the stowmaster is easy on the fish, like rubber is supposed to be?

I have a small boat with no storage to speak of so I would really like to avoid a non-folding net.
I've had plenty of overslot drum in it. Stripers over 30". It did great. Yes, I think the material is easier on the fish than traditional large mesh knotted nets. The mesh is smaller, which supports the fish better and there are no knots digging into the fish and scraping off his scales.

I've never seen a Stowmaster in a store. I bought mine online. I use the 20"x24" hoop with 72" handle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.