NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish both salt and fresh in my 12' Tarpon fishing kayak, and am thinking it's time for a net. Any specific recommendations? Thinking something a bit compact, but that can handle slot redfish (on my good day :p). I've read plastic better than nylon, too?

Thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
the 18x16 is the one I have. My issues with it are as follows: In the picture it looks like the top end of the net is framed as well as the sides, it is not. The two sides have posts that support the net but the net is suspended from the points of these along the front. This means that if you half way net a fish, he pulls down on the center of that end, which makes the net into a v and causes the sides to torque. This puts a lot of pressure on the plastic latch that you pull down to fold the net. Ultimately a badly netted 2-3lb bowfin put an end to my net because he was halfway in and it was too much for the latch, which snapped and now the net won't stay open. It would be a great net for small mountain trout or dink bass, but even an average bass bends the net visibly. It just isn't built strong. When you go to the store, open the net and put a few bank sinkers off of the shelves in it. I recommend doing this with any folding net. so you can get a feel for how much it can handle. I understand that there is a trade off when you need storage space, and if I was hiking and mountain trout fishing then I would consider it again, but for anything else it's just not up to par in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! Swampin' thanks for the suggestion of testing them out! Like the looks of those nets that don't fold the hoop in half. I'll probably check out the bass pro shop ones, croverto.

Roamin' the web a bit, and these look interesting, I just can't make out the folder joint/part, may see if they're at the local store who is supposedly a dealer...http://www.leveragelandingnet.com/products

Catmaster, that's been my approach to date, but I've lost a couple next to the boat, and always feel kind of dicey that close in. Of course, it'll be entertaining to have one more piece of gear to manager in the clutch! ;) thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.