NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not trying to start a conflict I'm just looking for clarification please. Fishing yesterday PM in VA Creek and a skiff starts deploying a series of nets. I had a somewhat similar situation about two months ago. Yesterday I was in a lagoon throwing for drum and I watched the Nets go out. There were about 7 nets set scattered across the creek and I felt like I wouldn't have a chance of getting a fish after these got theirs. I looked at the regulations, which I find very difficult to find and understand BTW, and saw that these nets need to go out no earlier than and hour before sunset. This was about two hours prior. I am going out this am to see if they have been taken up but I don't think I'll get there before and hour after sunrise. Am I reading these rules right? If the Nets are still there I'll try to call dmf but I'm wondering how to check the stretched mesh size. I don't really want to handle someone else's gear IYKWIM

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were not stretched all the way across and from all that I could read (and understand???) it was all legal. I got out at 1-1/2 hours after sunrise and they were there pulling the last net. That's 1/2 hour past the regulation but I'm not interested in any of that nonsense.
I'm overly sensitive to this because I know that there were illegal nets set last year and enforcement is very difficult due to low water.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
"Gray" area will always fall to the Comms favor. They get leeway in this state because they are a business, and granted, there has to be some leeway since you cant pull a net but so fast. Close enough to sunset/sunrise etc. Don't expect to accomplish anything without a serious violation and hard proof.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They can get in but it is very difficult unless they have half tide minimum. Last year I reported a net that was strung across 80% of the creek. I reported it and a week later called back. The officer said they tried to get back there but couldn't so they were going again the next day. It took three trips but they did a good job removing it and the officer was very steamed. This netter has been setting all week and two nights ago was stuck for a half hour after paying out a section. Yesterday am I watched him take one section out and I didn't see a single fish in it? So far I've seen no red drum that were killed although I feel that some sunk because it's inevitable. Hasn't hampered my red fishing any. I've caught 3-5 each am and a friend has been catching a few flounder but they are shorts. Another friend got a 19" flounder yesterday.
I'm just frustrated. They are operating legally so I can't wait look at them as if they are breaking the law but the way they are setting just irks me. They put sections right at the inlet and outlet of the many lagoons as well as in the main channels. The regs state 2/3 but they sure figured the way to beat that parameter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.